Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    Depends on the kind of hunt you are after. If you are chasing the B&C book it's just not realistic for the most part in the NW corner. If you're looking for a great mature buck and aren't concerned with score, hunting some awesome country and seeing virtually nobody else hunting, the NW corner is a great choice. Unit 2 has lower density, but certain areas hold good numbers. 201 probably has more deer in smaller areas. Quality is about the same in each. A 170"+ buck is very realistic in either area. Bigger deer are taken there each year. I would hunt it in a heartbeat if I could.
    HiMtnHnter,
    Thanks for the post and your thoughts on the area. We are looking to shoot a quality buck in the 170-180 range and not too concerned with the B&C book animal as we both have one of those. The lack of pressure and not competing for a hunting spot is the reason we are looking at these units, as well as seeing lots of mature bucks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If the winter kill isn't bad in the southern Gunnison units then those quality of deer can be found. You have to go in with the mentality of not passing on something you'd shoot on the last day or you'll end up eating tag soup if you don't already know where the mature bucks tend to hole up. There were 180+" deer to be found right after the 07-08 winter kill, but it wasn't advertised heavily bc it was an easier draw & vouchers were much cheaper.

70 is iffy, it's one of those where an outfitter with access to private really comes in handy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    HiMtnHnter,
    Thanks for the post and your thoughts on the area. We are looking to shoot a quality buck in the 170-180 range and not too concerned with the B&C book animal as we both have one of those. The lack of pressure and not competing for a hunting spot is the reason we are looking at these units, as well as seeing lots of mature bucks.
    I bet you guys would have a great time in 2 or 201. You will be virtually alone in some remote and beautiful country. Bucks the size you are after live there, although not in great numbers (do they anywhere?).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Either unit would be a great hunt. The deer in 2 and 201 didn't seem to take quite the beating that the deer in unit 10 did. There are some mega deer in those units.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I had a 201 ml tag last year. I scouted the hell out of it and hunted it hard. I never saw a buck over the mid 160's. I was only there in the late summer, Sept. and early Oct so I don't know what the Nov. and December hunts would be like. I would have thought in all the days I scouted/hunted it ( in excess of 20 days during 3 years) that I would have seen at least 1 decent buck, nope. I have seen pictures of good deer from 201 but most of these are from the local landowners and those bucks come from creek bottoms where public can't hunt unless you pay big $

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    I had a 201 ml tag last year. I scouted the hell out of it and hunted it hard. I never saw a buck over the mid 160's. I was only there in the late summer, Sept. and early Oct so I don't know what the Nov. and December hunts would be like. I would have thought in all the days I scouted/hunted it ( in excess of 20 days during 3 years) that I would have seen at least 1 decent buck, nope. I have seen pictures of good deer from 201 but most of these are from the local landowners and those bucks come from creek bottoms where public can't hunt unless you pay big $

Thanks BKC! I have a friend that works the Colorado oil fields in area 2 and he is saying about the same thing. The 180 + bucks exist there but they live by the private alfalfa fields or creek bottoms and don't travel more than a half mile until the rut hits. Still time to consider.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Granby guy! We are just over the pass on the front range from you, had all of the flooding last year! We hunted area 10 for both deer and elk and it was Ok, but nothing great. We are still tossing around the idea of area 35 4th season and hitting the rut. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am considering those areas as well, but during second season as I only have 16 NR points. Other possibility is unit 44 3rd rifle, but not a guarantee since it took 16 NR points to draw last year. Would it be worth using these points or continuing to save? I will be going with my 67 year old dad, so really don't feel like I can wait too many more years. This will be my first mule deer hunt, so I would be thrilled with a 160+ class deer. I'm leaning towards 201 due to it's smaller size and I don't have the ability to take off work enough to really do a lot of scouting. On the CPW website hunting atlas, there are several areas in blue, Vermillion hunting Lease, Cold Springs Mountain STL, Raftopulous hunting lease etc, are these public hunting areas or private areas? I apologize for my ignorance, but the map legend doesn't really explain those areas. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    If you are looking at a map, yes, 201 is small compared to other units that are adjoining. You will NOT be able to look into every drainage and glass all the unit in a week of scouting. Call the Meeker DOW office and have them send you a map of that unit. A lot of gound is leased up by the dow from the local landowners. Some of it, The better parts to hunt, are off limits. But still a ton of country to hunt.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BKC For This Useful Post: