Thread: Muley Sheds?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Muley Sheds?

I live in SE North Dakota in whitetail country. I have found countless whitetail sheds over the years. I have always gone hunting out in the North Dakota badlands and have been very interested in finding mule deer sheds. This year I am wanting to plan a weekend out there to look for sheds, but I don't know anything about the wintering habits of a mule deer. Where is the best place to start looking? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Look where the bucks winter. Pretty much where the bucks are, somewhere close are where they dropped sheds. At least from my experiences in northern Nv.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have had good success on the south facing slopes. Think about areas where the snow is melted out or there is less of it. The deer don't want to have to work any harder than they have to when they feed. Draws are another good spot where they spend time out of the wind and elements. I by no means am an expert on this, but this has proved to be successful for me. Good luck and I hope this helps you. Post some pics after you find some.

Sent from my iPhone

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    Look where the bucks winter. Pretty much where the bucks are, somewhere close are where they dropped sheds. At least from my experiences in northern Nv.
    To add, look around fence lines, deer trails, and beds that are under trees. When the bucks jump the fences that are in their trails they will fall off. When they bed under trees the limbs will hit the antlers and knock them off. I've also just walked fence lines and have found a few. Good luck.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    To add, look around fence lines, deer trails, and beds that are under trees. When the bucks jump the fences that are in their trails they will fall off. When they bed under trees the limbs will hit the antlers and knock them off. I've also just walked fence lines and have found a few. Good luck.
    Yep. I always go by trees. Its amazing how many you find. I once went to a lone tree in this one spot, and I found 2 sheds there.

Fences help if there are any around.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Use your binoculars. I have only gone shed hunting a few times in the badlands, and in those few times glassing found me the most. Its amazing how a muley shed actually sticks out among branches on the ground and such. Unlike a whitetail shed, you are looking for a distinctive fork shape usually with a gentle curve. Glassing is most useful right when the snow melts and the underbrush is still packed down. There is really no set wintering area in the badlands. I've found sheds everywhere from the rugged bare clay faces to coulees right next to feed. You can also go trudging through the ceder pockets if you are looking for a tough walk though this can sometimes be difficult until later in the summer when the clay finally gets a chance to dry. No one area has proven more reliable than the other....I guess that isn't entirely true, you probably won't find any new sheds in your living room.