Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land Owner Gift

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Land Owner Gift

My friends and I are going to Wyoming this year for antelope. We are going to a unit that has alot of public land. But we are getting a couple of doe tags that are to be fill with in a half mile of an irrigated field. Everybody assures me that it should be no problem filling these tags. My contacts have said that they have had success knocking on doors for access. The biologist says it is not even necessary to gain access to fill the tags. If I do decide to knock on doors and gain access for free, what should I take to give the land owner as a thank you gift? My Oregon sage rat guy always appreciates a 18 pack of beer. I read some were that a guy took canned tuna and it was a big hit with the land owner. So I'm just looking for some ideas. What do those guys need over there that I could offer them from Oregon? Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 3 Posts
    Turkey or ham with the holidays approaching. Never know if hooch will be a hit or not.
    Last edited by packmule; 02-26-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would never use it as hook. Just a thank you afterward.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    I always take along at least 10 lbs of smoked salmon when I go out to Colorado.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Coming out from Wisconsin we have always taken brat's & cheese. Exceptional hospitality and hunting we offer free room and board plus "Packer Ticket's"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    After permission is gained I have given a few knives or multi tools out. A farmer/rancher can't have to many blades laying around. I also have sent out a thank your card or Xmas card with a short detail of my experience on their land to show my true gratitude regarding their generosity. If an animal has been taken on their land I will look for a landmark they might recognize and use that as the background of a photo and put that in the card as well (make sure you have a big smile). I don't know if giving a gift before or during asking for permission is necessary. At that point you might as well just come to the door with money in hand.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Depends...... If I have to pay for access, forget it. If the landowner gives permission for access without any "enrichment" then I always remember and send something from Cabelas holiday catalog, usually a smoked turkey or such. Learned a long time ago than unless you know them well enough, booze is not always welcome. Lots of "tea totalers" out there.

The first time I hunted a ranch in Wyoming, paid a trespass fee and did really well hunting. Had a problem on a really tough 4x4 road on the ranch and got stuck. We were digging ourselves out when a couple of the ranch security guys drove up and helped us out of the mud hole. They really didn't have to, but it saved us a lot of time. A couple of nights later they dropped by camp and we invited the to stay for dinner and had a few beers with them. Started a great friendship that has lasted over 20 years. Hunted that ranch for years and was a great situation. When the landowner died and his heirs took over, they leased everything out to an outfitter, but we were invited back. I am sure it was because of out past relationship. Don't hunt the ranch anymore, but still are great friends with the 2 guys we met.

Many years ago I used to have a ranch in California that I hunted quail on. My Dad used to hunt it and it carried over to me. We always made a spring trip or 2 over weekends to help out with chores. Unfortunately the place was sold and subdivided.

I am rambling a bit, but the bottom line is you have to make a judgment on each situation and they all won't be the same. Some ranchers will welcome help and some just won't. Some will appreciate gifts, others just won't care. But I am sure most will appreciate your consideration.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I do things a bit different. I notived that my rancher friends heated their shop with used motor oil, so I brought them a 55 gallon drum of it ( I have a small construction company). I also bring work gloves, a pair of coveralls because I noticed he was wearing a pair of old worn out ones. I have brought salmon filets from my trip to alaska a few years back and some buffalo steaks from that hunt but most farmers and ranchers eat beef whenever they want to so I try to keep it a little different. We email back and forth throughout the year and we talk about the calving season, moisture, cost of fuel, crop prices, etc. Just be genuine and I think that makes the biggest difference.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    You are exactly right. That's why I said you have to look at each situation and make a judgment on what is the right approach....and by all means be genuine in your actions.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 6 Posts
    In TN we are known for moon pies, Jack Daniels and smoked sausage. I am bringing all 3 to MT this year, and plan to share the moon pie and sausage!!!!

I would be leary of sharing booze though, I would hate to offend someone over a sincere jesture. Never know someones past experience and alcohol tends to be a major factor with some peoples past, so I always respect that. Of course I am from the south and alcohol is either accepted or deemed the devils creation. Not a lot of in between here.