Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WY unit help

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Do you have any local outdoor or hunting shows in your area? I take mine to our local show and they score them free if you leave them there for the show.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kesand72 View Post
    That buck was actually the first critter I ever attempted to score and I came up with a rough score of 78" gross. I'm sure I could be off by a few inches. I would love to have it officially scored but have no idea who would do it here in Illinois. The guys at the meat locker in Riverton Wy said it should go high 70s.
    Get on the B&C website and you can look up official scorers in your area. You can then call and ask these folks if they can score antelope, which I'm willing to bet they can.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Was kinda figuring on taking a giant whitetail this year n then having them both scored.....that didn't work out tho Lol!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Why in the world would anyone even think of hunting unit 55 that is completely checkerboarded and only has one public road running through it unless they had access to a ranch there?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kesand72 View Post
    Was kinda figuring on taking a giant whitetail this year n then having them both scored.....that didn't work out tho Lol!!
    LOL maybe you will have one next year! I take mine even if they arent real big just to support the smaller show. I also like to get an accurate score on all my animals for a reference for field judging. Being able to look at all mine side by side anytime and knowing the score helps alot when you get out hunting!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Why in the world would anyone even think of hunting unit 55 that is completely checkerboarded and only has one public road running through it unless they had access to a ranch there?
    Well, I can only speak for myself, but in 2011, 55 was the highest rated lope unit in Wyoming that could be drawn as a 2nd choice, and if you had the GPS chip and were careful you could get it done there. I see it takes a lot more points now, and it would never be my 1st choice with all the quality units to choose from with 4 points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Because all that checker boarding deters many guys like you. There are huge bucks and plenty of land to hunt. It looks intimidating on a large map but seriously how much ground do you need? Think of it this way- if you have just one square mile of deer ground you feel like you have a huge piece of property. We are talking about miles and miles to hunt here with plenty of antelope. It is easier to draw than the other areas close to it because you do have to pay attention. I would also like to point out that the game and fish contracts some of the private land into HMAs in this area as well. Some of the white on your map is huntable... I wouldn't even mention it on here if I planned on antelope hunting again but I have numerous heads and have switched gears to elk. I grew up in Laramie and have hunted antelope all over the state- It doesn't get much better than 55.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Checkerboarding deters smart people like myself that don't want to take a chance on trespassing or hunting "little" square mile chunks of property that are surrounded by private land with ranchers that will tell you that you're on their land and try to get a trespass ticket written even if you're in the right! That happens regardless of whether you have a GPS with a chip in it or not and that's why I stated that I wouldn't hunt it unless I had access to a ranch, meaning either by paying a trespass fee or going to a HMA or WIHA if there are any of decent size in the area. I've been hunting Wyoming dang near every year for over 20 years, so I do know my way around and what can work and make a good hunt or one that can backfire and cause more trouble than it's worth. IMHO most of those checkerboarded areas are the latter unless you can get on a ranch legally like I mentioned.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 02-28-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I dont think it is detering that many people since it now takes 4 points to draw it. Its the only unit I have noticed with poor access that takes any points to draw. I would consider a unit like that 2nd choice but to me there are alot better units that can be had with 4 points. Luckily we all look for different things when choosing a unit or we would all apply for the same unit and the draw odds would be 10,000-1 while all the other units had leftover tags. lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You looked into 91 or 92?? I don't know how many points there taking but we've hunted that area several times.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME