Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WY unit help

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

WY unit help

Going into regular draw with 4 points. Considering units 55, 48-1, and 100. Never hunted 48 or 55 but shot a nice buck outta unit 100 years ago. Looking for a chance at a 75" or bigger buck. What are everyone's thoughts on these units? Enough public land in 55? Any other suggestions on units we should consider with 4 points in regular draw? Thanks! Appreciate any info!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Those r awesome units! 73, 74, n 75 in central Wyoming would also fit the bill! I took a great buck in 67 in 2011, but you would have to go with Special Draw for that. Looked over at least 4 bucks on opening day above 75".
    Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kesand72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like the lower tag numbers and less pressure in those units. Leaning towards 48-1. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on 48-1? Success pics?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 82 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rob270340 View Post
    Going into regular draw with 4 points. Considering units 55, 48-1, and 100. Never hunted 48 or 55 but shot a nice buck outta unit 100 years ago. Looking for a chance at a 75" or bigger buck. What are everyone's thoughts on these units? Enough public land in 55? Any other suggestions on units we should consider with 4 points in regular draw? Thanks! Appreciate any info!
    I shot my only Boone and Crockett buck ever in area 55 15 years ago. He scored 83 1/8" There is enough public but you have to watch where you are at. My friends drew the area last year and hunted hard to three days. They shot one buck that was 77" and one that was 81". Out West Safaris guides in that area and they kill BC bucks every year. They have a good majority of the private ground leased. That being said, I know they shoot the occasional guided buck on public. 55 is an excellent DIY archery area. It is very dry and the antelope concentrate on the few water holes. My last three bucks from this area were taken with a bow. For rifle hunting, I believe the best hunting is later in the season. You will almost never see another hunter and many of the private ground antelope move on to public as the weather starts to get bad. In my opinion 55 is better than any other area of the state if you do your homework...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Hilltop, I'll look closer at 55. Going in the draw with my dad and my son. It'll be my sons first antelope hunt so he won't be picky and my dad isn't necessarily a trophy hunter so I'm probably the only one wanting to hold out for a bigger buck. Hoping for a chance at an 80" buck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 82 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rob270340 View Post
    Thanks Hilltop, I'll look closer at 55. Going in the draw with my dad and my son. It'll be my sons first antelope hunt so he won't be picky and my dad isn't necessarily a trophy hunter so I'm probably the only one wanting to hold out for a bigger buck. Hoping for a chance at an 80" buck.
    Good luck! I hope you draw... I know you would have more than one opportunity at an 80"+ buck. The real issue becomes actually being able to field judge and select the right buck to harvest. Great optics are a must! The mass and the prong are what will push the score up. Spend some hours looking at pictures. I have guided and hunted them all my life and I still make 5" mistakes frequently in the field. A 75" buck looks really dang good at 300 yards. Height is the most recognizable feature but most of the mature bucks in this area end up between 14" and 16". I usually tell people to shoot the one that looks like he has very small ears in comparison to the horns. I have also found that the biggest bucks aren't usually the ones with the large herd of does. I have taken all the really big ones either by themselves or in a group of 2-5 animals.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    55 is listed as dificult access and is a checker board of public/private land. IMO public land and access are the most important thing when choosing a unit. Of those units 100 would interest me the most but I think there are better units to spend 4 points on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    55 is listed as dificult access and is a checker board of public/private land. IMO public land and access are the most important thing when choosing a unit. Of those units 100 would interest me the most but I think there are better units to spend 4 points on.
    55 was my 2nd choice unit in 2011, and I had my fingers crossed until the draw results hoping to get my #1, which I did thank God. You won't find a more checkerboarded unit in the state I don't think.
    I'm sure you could get it done there if you had to, but you will be watching your GPS ( with chip) and maps more than enjoying the hunt. The buck in my avatar came from the 2011 hunt, in 67.
    If I was looking to hunt this year with 4 points I would look more towards 48, and 73-75 units. Those are the units I'm considering for next year. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    What does that 67 buck score? I killed a nice 67 buck too, as in he just came out of 67 into the unit I was hunting

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That buck was actually the first critter I ever attempted to score and I came up with a rough score of 78" gross. I'm sure I could be off by a few inches. I would love to have it officially scored but have no idea who would do it here in Illinois. The guys at the meat locker in Riverton Wy said it should go high 70s.