Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WY unit help

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I think for a checkerboard unit its very popular to take 4 points considering most units with comparable access take 0 points and most that take 4 points have much better access. I know of units with leftover tags that look better to me but I have never been to 55 so there could be something I dont know about it and could be better then I think. LOL*** doesnt bother me I have just been curious what it meant is all.
    That's good the *** don't bother you because I'll probably revert back to them again out of sheer habit! I guess as far as popularity you could look at that unit from either of our perspectives and I do see where you're coming from now and see your point.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    For me to use any points a unit has to have good sized chunks of blm and access to it. I will usually take access over anything else. I dont mind walking and hunting hard but i want to have a good place to do it. 2nd choice I will deal with alot of things and Im just happy to have a tag and be hunting somewhere. Thats how I look at it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For me to use any points a unit has to have good sized chunks of blm and access to it. I will usually take access over anything else. I dont mind walking and hunting hard but i want to have a good place to do it. 2nd choice I will deal with alot of things and Im just happy to have a tag and be hunting somewhere. Thats how I look at it!
    I'm with you on that as it makes a lot of sense when you are using PPs!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    I think 90-2 is probably more your classic antelope country-type hunt. 90-1 butts up to the Wind Rivers, so some of that country may not harbor as many goats. I'm sure either would provide a pretty good hunt though. If nothing, just hunt the strip of 90-1 closest to Hwy 191.

I hunted 48-1 last year. It was a good hunt, and worth 4 points in my opinion. Plenty of territory to cover and a good number of goats with some good ones mixed in...especially if you have the time to hunt them. There are two WMAs out there too where access can be had. Any unit that takes points to draw harbors 80" animals...heck, some that don't require points have them too - you'll just work a lot harder to find them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think any unit in Wyoming can produce an 80'' antelope. You just have a much larger area you can search for one in in a unit with lots of public land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What exactly is a WMA?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Its private land that F&G has worked out a deal with the owners that allows hunting on it. Different ones can have different rules.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/fr...ntingHome.aspx

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    +1 for the thoughts on 2nd choice units! Shoot for the stars with those valuable points, but recognize the obstacles when you just wanna hunt!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kesand72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by rob270340 View Post
    What exactly is a WMA?
    It is actually called an HMA for Hunter Management Area. There are also ranches enrolled in the WIHA, which stands for Walkin Hunter Area and those do not require a permission slip like the HMAs do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts
    Have you considered 63? I know it was only 44% last year wiyh 4 points, but it is a good unit.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member