Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08 Help

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Have had great luck with the Hornady super performance 139 gr. sst. Great factory ballistics. Nice to see all the 7-08 users out there, also.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 68 Times in 8 Posts
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm going to try a few of the mentioned loads and see what her gun likes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't shoot a 7mm-08 but have had a 280 Remington for years. I loaded 140 gr. Partitions in it and used that one bullet for everything to include my largest bull elk. That or the 140 gr. Accubond would be my personal choice and I'd use whichever one the rifle shot best.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 66 Times in 8 Posts
    I would also suggest a trigger job. The one I got doesn't have the Accu Trigger and it has a ton of creep and heavy to pull. It's fine for now but again I will upgrade when she gets a tag.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 7 Posts
    I run 140gr Ballistic Tips in my nieces 7-08 (Varget or H4350 I believe is the powder I used) there clipping along about 2800FPS at the muzz and its claimed several animals out to 470yds, I'd imagine at the velocity there traveling they would mushroom perfectly on elk, cause they've sure done very well on the goats and deer, only recovered one, the rest have been complete pass throughs.

I've used Accubonds since there inception and I doubt I'll ever switch, that'd be a more controlled expansion bullet then the Ballistic Tips if your worried they won't be tough enough, I'd strongly urge you to stay away from the Hornady SST, we've had some serious fragmentation issues with them, just my 2cents though.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I would also suggest a trigger job. The one I got doesn't have the Accu Trigger and it has a ton of creep and heavy to pull. It's fine for now but again I will upgrade when she gets a tag.
    The new ones come with the accutrigger. Its one of the reasons I went with this model over others.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    I run 140gr Ballistic Tips in my nieces 7-08 (Varget or H4350 I believe is the powder I used) there clipping along about 2800FPS at the muzz and its claimed several animals out to 470yds, I'd imagine at the velocity there traveling they would mushroom perfectly on elk, cause they've sure done very well on the goats and deer, only recovered one, the rest have been complete pass throughs.

I've used Accubonds since there inception and I doubt I'll ever switch, that'd be a more controlled expansion bullet then the Ballistic Tips if your worried they won't be tough enough, I'd strongly urge you to stay away from the Hornady SST, we've had some serious fragmentation issues with them, just my 2cents though.
    I love the SST in .243 for antelope and deer but I agree for elk they come apart too fast. If I could find factory Hornady Interbonds I wouldn't be searching. From what I have read the accubond is very close so if they shoot good, I will likely use them...?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts
    Used mine on an Idaho bull, dropped him at 400 yards using Remington 140gr. Core-Lokt bullets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 2 Posts
    I would shoot either the 140 accubond or the 139 gr. Interbond. They both shoot really well out of my wife's 7-08. Heck, i have not found a bullet that does not shoot great out of that rifle! Good luck, sounds like a fun hunt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My 14 year old son dropped his cow elk this past fall with his 7-08. We hand loaded it with 140 accubonds and Varget. One shot at 360 yards, complete pass through. Went down within twenty feet.

Same load hammered his first deer last fall. Nice muley buck at 477 yards. He harvested his first big game animal last fall too with that rifle. In September he shot a doe antelope at 264 yards with the same rifle and 140 ballistic Tips. Still loaded over Varget.
    Last edited by Fire Hawk; 03-17-2014 at 08:09 PM.