Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    This should be a fun hunt, we were out there chasing Whitetails in November and there was bucks running everywhere!!
    I didnt realize that area had whitetails. Were you on public land? I have only hunted antelope there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    This should be a fun hunt, we were out there chasing Whitetails in November and there was bucks running everywhere!!

That's good to know!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsky2 View Post
    Hiland is the only one of those towns that you listed that has fuel and food available. There is one store in town, the Bright Spot. It is a little convenience store connected to a bar. They serve food and have one fuel pump. I wouldn't count on them to have fuel either, because they run out sometimes. I live in Casper and travel that highway pretty frequently for work.
    This is correct. Hiland, population 10, has the two fuel pumps. One for diesel and one for gas as well as the store/bar. There's also the store in Waltman, but it may or may not be open.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks a bunch Libid!!

"I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I didnt realize that area had whitetails. Were you on public land? I have only hunted antelope there.
    I have shot several whitetails there on doe tags. The ranchers hate them as they love their hay fields. See them there usually in the evening feeding. I have seen some great bucks too. I have the sheds of a huge buck.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I have shot several whitetails there on doe tags. The ranchers hate them as they love their hay fields. See them there usually in the evening feeding. I have seen some great bucks too. I have the sheds of a huge buck.
    Thanks! I might have to look into that! I have noticed alot of whitetail only tags leftover in WY.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    I submitted my application today for deer unit 34. We probably have a good shot at drawing. I have recieved both good and bad reviews on the deer herd there, but we decided to go for it anyhow. We are camping on BLM land and I have a 2 options for camps right now, working on a 3rd and 4th incase the spots are taken, or they just don't work out for one reason or another. We will basically be camping/hunting in the North Western portion of the unit towards region Y.

Now to the question.....20/26 from Casper to Shoshoni is the southern border of 34. Is there gas or a conv store on that route? Like in Powder River, Natrona, Arminto ect....

If not, the closest one I can find is Lysite which according to Google Maps is 1 hour and 49 minutes away from our Option A camp site.

IS there gas to be had on the southern portion of region Y that may be closer?

I plan on taking three 5 gallon jugs with me, but we may need more than that if there isn't anything closer. We will be up there for 8-9 days.

While I am on the subject of length of stay......what do you guys/gals do with the capes of the deer and antelope while in the filed for so long? Dry Ice and packed in coolers with the meat?

Thanks in advance for any tips.....
    Cobbhunts,
    On the subject of capes, I used to cape and completely flesh,turn(eyes,ears,nose,lips),salt all my capes. Lately though I've been hauling a small chest freezer in a utility trailer and running it with a real small generator. ( This works especially well during early season antelope and elk hunts) It works great and once it's cold you only need to run your generator a few hours a day! I used this option on our WY antelope hunt last year and with a little work I was able to get all three bucks (meat and capes in the freezer) I like this option when I'm not packing in, because you can wait for a more controlled environment to finish processing the capes. In most cases your taxidermist does this part for free anyway, because this part can be touchy and possibly make more work later if done incorrectly. Also, If it's cold out a cape will keep for 4 or 5 days easily ( longer if done carefully) as long as you let it cool real well, then roll it up flesh side together and put it in a breathable game bag. If kept outside or in a cooler just remember to keep it dry.( stay away from plastic bags unless your completely freezing it after it's cooled, because they don't breath and promote sweating and hair slippage if not cold enough!)
    Good Luck! and hope to see pics!
    Last edited by gonhunting247; 03-04-2014 at 09:14 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gonhunting247 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks gonhunting!! I really appreciate the tips. The freezer idea is great too....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Cowboy, it seems the ranchers have figured out how much the Whitetail bucks were worth. They'll let you shoot does perhaps, but NOT bucks unless you give them or their outfitters some "Bucks". And in some cases, big Bucks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post: