Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    I've used Sitka, Russell and now Kuiu, I'd say Russell is the best for the money(no longer made however). Sitka is not that great, I've worn there stuff out pretty fast, not that big of a fan anymore. Kuiu seems to be the best overall, I've beat the crap out of it and no tears, frays or punctures of any sort. I've got a buddy that uses Core4 he's a husky fellow and it fits him better than Sitka or Kuiu.
    Well I have 4 KUIU pieces and a lot of Sitka pieces. My KUIU pieces (tiburon and superdown) are nice, but they are not super durable. The pieces are lightweight and and work well except for the Tiburon zip tee. I had to have the forearms altered by a seamstress because they were way too tight. Keep the superdown away from any kind of brush with thorns. They are a great mid-layer, but won't hold up long as an outer layer.

I've got a ton of of Sitka stuff. This stuff is totally battle tested and has been extremely durable. The only product I haven't been thrilled about is my Flash 32 pack. I've got ascent pants, timberline pants, mountain pants, traverse zip tee, Jetstream jacket, Jetstream light vest, Kelvin vest, some different gloves, hats, etc. I think if Sitka made stuff that wasn't good, I would have encountered it by now. I think the biggest advantages of Sitka are inventory, ability to try them on before you buy, and more specific sizing (I.e. Actual waist sizing rather than m,l,xl). The KUIU stuff is ultra light weight, and I think the superdown is a product that really is unique.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts
    I have used something from every one of the major companies. As long as you use it in the intended conditions it will perform.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_steve View Post
    What are you looking to hunt in your gear? I have First lite gear for western hunting as it does not stink over a long hunt and wicks away moisture well. Couldn't imagine hunting without it.
    mr steve, I live in NM so its all high country in the wilderness or high desert in southern nm...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DryFlyGuy View Post
    Well I have 4 KUIU pieces and a lot of Sitka pieces. My KUIU pieces (tiburon and superdown) are nice, but they are not super durable. The pieces are lightweight and and work well except for the Tiburon zip tee. I had to have the forearms altered by a seamstress because they were way too tight. Keep the superdown away from any kind of brush with thorns. They are a great mid-layer, but won't hold up long as an outer layer.

I've got a ton of of Sitka stuff. This stuff is totally battle tested and has been extremely durable. The only product I haven't been thrilled about is my Flash 32 pack. I've got ascent pants, timberline pants, mountain pants, traverse zip tee, Jetstream jacket, Jetstream light vest, Kelvin vest, some different gloves, hats, etc. I think if Sitka made stuff that wasn't good, I would have encountered it by now. I think the biggest advantages of Sitka are inventory, ability to try them on before you buy, and more specific sizing (I.e. Actual waist sizing rather than m,l,xl). The KUIU stuff is ultra light weight, and I think the superdown is a product that really is unique.
    great info! thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really like First Lite clothing. I just picked up their wool hooded shirt and the puffy jacket. I've got a few other things as well. They're all top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 5 Posts
    Got a quick question, is the merino wool you guys are using 100% wool? I can only find 35% in the socks, new to the wool world, but it sounds worth it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    Check First Lite. I think there socks may be mixed but can't remember. Very comfortable though and worth the money.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearhunter3450 View Post
    Check First Lite. I think there socks may be mixed but can't remember. Very comfortable though and worth the money.
    Thanks! I have a problem with my feet sweating and then getting cold. But never tried good socks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 4 Posts
    I think most merino wool socks will be some kind of a blend, so they will have that elasticity to stay up on your leg. Any of the merino base layers will serve you well, wick moisture, no stink. Can't go wrong with merino.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhoundman View Post
    Thanks! I have a problem with my feet sweating and then getting cold. But never tried good socks.
    I have the same issue. Try the First Lite mountain athlete crew. They work well for me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dearhunter3450 For This Useful Post: