Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BucksnBulls View Post
    I would have to say my 2010 bull. I was 22 and alone on my first ever elk hunt. I missed out on the draw so I bought a leftover NR tag for an area in Wyo that is mostly wilderness, which of course I couldn't legally access. Anyway, long story short, I was able to arrow a beautiful bull at 15 yards. Looking back, I had no idea what I was doing. There's no doubt in my mind the Big Guy was smiling down. It was an incredible experience.

Attachment 8447
    Gorgeous bull you got!!
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 6mm Remington For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I took my son when he was 14 and a friend of his who was 15 and had never hunted before elk hunting. My son used his 6mm Remington and Andy the other boy (who unfortunately has a disease that will take his life before he likely turns 30) used my wife's 25-06. They both had drawn cow elk tags for a ranch north of town.

Friday we went out and spent all day from before sunup until about 4:00 PM walking all over this property and did not see an elk. Spotted some at about the last 1/2 hour of light and my boy got in position and shot a cow at 350 yards. One shot with the 90 gr. E-tip and she went about 25 yards and went down. Got her out well after midnight.

Slept in the next day and went out about 2:00 PM. Spotted some elk and made a great sneak and got within about 250 yards of roughly 75 head that we could see. Got Andy in position laying in the show for about 15 minutes before a cow gave us a shot without any right behind her. He finally made a great shot using a bipod and shot his cow. She ran about 40 yards and went down. It was about midnight again when we got back to the truck. Both boys had great smiles on their face.

Mountain Goat Hunt.
    A couple years ago after applying for 33 years in a row I finally drew a Mountain Goat tag. Bad part is the population of goats in the area where I drew had really dropped in about a two year time span. I was able to start scouting in July when the snow finally melted enough I could access back in the wilderness area. I made many trips scouting and looking. During all my scouting trips I saw one MAYBE mountain goat. Never got the spotting scope out as I had about 10 more miles to go before I made camp.

Hunted hard during the season with a three day hunt to a week hunt every week until season closed and only saw one more goat. A FOR SURE goat I bumped in the timber going up a ridge. I never saw another mountain goat in all of my travels and I put on more than 100 miles on foot. All but one trip was by myself.

I had a great time and saw some beautiful country. I had a tag and got to pursue a Mountain Goat finally. It was all I could have ever hoped for. I would do it again tomorrow.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 6mm Remington For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    WYOMING not WHY OMING. HAHA couldnt pass that one up! Good luck on your hunt!
    I hope there is no IQ test given prior to your tags being issued, I apparently would have a real problem with that LOL!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dearhunter3450 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Great stories 6MM!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    It isn't so much an "accomplishment," but one of my highlights of my short 15 years hunting was on my first trip to Colordo chasing mule deer. We had worked our tails off for six days deep in the back country, and on our last day, in the final minutes of hunting, I glassed up a deer for my hunting partner to take, and he finished the job. I had filled my tag earlier in the week and he worked is ass off to help me do so. Being able to repay the favor, in a small way, was a very fulfilling moment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to d.kerri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
    I took my son when he was 14 and a friend of his who was 15 and had never hunted before elk hunting. My son used his 6mm Remington and Andy the other boy (who unfortunately has a disease that will take his life before he likely turns 30) used my wife's 25-06. They both had drawn cow elk tags for a ranch north of town.

Friday we went out and spent all day from before sunup until about 4:00 PM walking all over this property and did not see an elk. Spotted some at about the last 1/2 hour of light and my boy got in position and shot a cow at 350 yards. One shot with the 90 gr. E-tip and she went about 25 yards and went down. Got her out well after midnight.

Slept in the next day and went out about 2:00 PM. Spotted some elk and made a great sneak and got within about 250 yards of roughly 75 head that we could see. Got Andy in position laying in the show for about 15 minutes before a cow gave us a shot without any right behind her. He finally made a great shot using a bipod and shot his cow. She ran about 40 yards and went down. It was about midnight again when we got back to the truck. Both boys had great smiles on their face.

Mountain Goat Hunt.
    A couple years ago after applying for 33 years in a row I finally drew a Mountain Goat tag. Bad part is the population of goats in the area where I drew had really dropped in about a two year time span. I was able to start scouting in July when the snow finally melted enough I could access back in the wilderness area. I made many trips scouting and looking. During all my scouting trips I saw one MAYBE mountain goat. Never got the spotting scope out as I had about 10 more miles to go before I made camp.

Hunted hard during the season with a three day hunt to a week hunt every week until season closed and only saw one more goat. A FOR SURE goat I bumped in the timber going up a ridge. I never saw another mountain goat in all of my travels and I put on more than 100 miles on foot. All but one trip was by myself.

I had a great time and saw some beautiful country. I had a tag and got to pursue a Mountain Goat finally. It was all I could have ever hoped for. I would do it again tomorrow.
    Awesome story! Its great when the kids have a good hunt. My daughter took 2 whitetails and a fair amount of small game before she decided she had become " a lady" and wasnt gonna hunt anymore. What can you do......she still talks about those hunts though years later!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by arwaterfowler View Post
    How big is the antelope in your profile pic?
    Well, I rough scored him at 78 gross, but I am no expert n could be off a few inches!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 2 Posts
    My first would be watching my boys take their first big game animals the last couple years.

My second would be taking my first big game animal at 13 years old with my parents at my side- Barren Ground Caribou in Alaska because I wasn't old enough to hunt in Colorado. Just missed B&C by 5 points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So far...? not sure? to be updated!

Future? who knows? but I really want to work towards the NA10 in perhaps the next 10years or so, and after that see how close I can get to the NA29.

I'd also like to take a B&C Antelope but I have a pretty nice one already IMO, not a booner, but a DIY WY goat, which in some ways may be my biggest hunting accomplishment so far.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Future: Archery bull and not fall out of a treestand, again.