Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hunting with the kids. I took my 14 year old grandson on a bear hunt. What a hoot. He is more afraid of bear than I am the government, yet he walked the last half mile to his ground blind and in thirty minutes he called me to say,"I have killed a big red bear". To hear him describe what happened was priceless. He said his knees were vibrating and the scope crosshairs were going everywhere. I had ranged ever likely spot he had covered, one was 600yds. He ask,"are you going to let me shoot that far"? I never doubted his shot and it was perfect. He now has a larger bear than me.
    Last year I took two kinds 14 and 16 that both got their elk with archery. Those two are dedicated shooting over two hundred shots daily. They have hooked me on archery.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    bucksnbulls nice job on a great first bull. what part of sd do u live in?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One of my biggest hunting accomplishments was my 2012 DIY public land backpack bowhunt on an OTC tag in Colorado. I packed in solo 3.5 miles, stayed with the elk, and killed a great 6X6.

My story was published in EBJ 76.

I'd say my most enjoyable was helping my wife take her first deer ever this last fall. She absolutely pole-axed him with a 260 after watching him run does around for several minutes. I'm proud.

Last edited by RockChucker30; 03-04-2014 at 08:09 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RockChucker30 For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Mine was when I took my first Bull Elk with Guy and my hunting partners. It was a week that I will never forget. My uncle passed away the day before my opening morning and I was going to pack up and head home. My wife told me to stay because it what he would have wanted, so I did.
    Meeting Guy and spending some fun times and learning how to efficiently hunt was a game changer for my hunting career. Being filmed, having my story published, and seeing myself on Eastmana hunting TV show was such a gratifying time of my life.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts

Getting my first big game animal with my bow this past year. I was with my dad, bro, and mom. None of them are really serious hunters and my mom and dad have never shot a bow. My bro shoots his bow with me. So to do this with them and a lot of it through me learning as I went along, was a huge accomplishment.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

8. The Following User Says Thank You to velvetfvr For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    In truth for the future is my wife and daughter. They enjoy hunting and now with my kid almost of age to hunt in Nv it's going to be a family affair more then it already has.

It was a special day for me when my wife took her first deer and antelope. We where all together as a family and base camp and kept in contact while out getting her deer by radio. Her antelope my daughter was rite beside me when she took the shot.

The future will be when Raegan takes her first big game animal by far! When my wife draws a Nv bull tag is going to be a big one too
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been a hunter (and fisherman too) almost all my life. I am 72 now and have hunted and fished all over North America. My Father and Grandfather were responsible for my love of the outdoors. My son also hunts and fishes. I took him on his first big game hunt and was with him when he caught his first Marlin on my boat.

My greatest accomplishment was getting my Dad his last big game animal. Dad was 90 and suffered from old age and eye problems. I taught him to shoot left handed because of vision loss due to Macular Degeneration in his right eye. I got him turned in for an ES elk tag here in Colorado and shooting proficient enough with my .300 Wby to go and see if we could fill his tag. I knew a spot that I saw elk almost every evening coming out to feed. We hiked about a mile to some oak brush across the park from where the elk came from. About an hour before dark the elk did their thing and started feeding. They were about 400 yards away and feeding towards up and I told Dad "Let them come, we have lots of time". They were all cows and calfs, no bulls. Dad said he was having trouble seeing them as it was getting a little dark. So I told him to pick out the closest cow and dump her. She was 295 yards away. Dad was sitting using shooting sticks and dropped her with one shot. He started hollering and yelling like a little kid shooting their first deer!

After I gutted her, I got my quad and drove up a two track road to within 200 yards and my son and I dragged her to the quad, loaded her up.

That was my Dad's last big game hunt. We continued to hunt waterfowl together until he passed away in 2012 at 94. For me it will be hard to top that hunt no matter what I do the rest of my life.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 03-04-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 Generations Elk Hunting-Colorado.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	8596
    Had trouble getting this picture loaded for my original post.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I guess mine would be my first elk. I went to Colorado from Texas in 1999 with my brother and 3 of his friends to hunt elk for the first time. We didn't see an elk in the daylight the whole trip. However, I absolutely fell in love with the country.

I started planning on going back the next year but couldn't find anyone to go with me. So, I started making calls and studying maps to make the trip by myself. I was at my parents house and was telling my dad about my upcoming trip. My mom came in and went off like a bottle rocket. She said "you're going to go on a 14 hour drive to Colorado to hunt elk in the rocky mountains by yourself" I said "yes ma'am". She proceeded to explain how stupid that was and what was I going to do if I got hurt. She finally got off her soap box after about 20 minutes and told my dad to talk some sense into me. He waited until she was out of ear shot and ask when I was going to leave. He thought it was going to be a great adventure.

I packed up my 2 man tent and all my gear and headed to Colorado 2 days before the season opened. My brother informed me I was wasting my time. I would need a guide since we lived to far away to scout. I told him I had studied maps and I knew where to start and I would go from there.

When I arrived at my camp site, I remembered why I came back. The night before opening morning I was kept awake by the sound of the first elk bugles I had ever heard in person. I left camp at 4:00 and walked down into the canyon I had picked to start hunting. I had nessled my way into a spruce tree to try and hide myself the best I could and waited for daylight. Right at daylight, I heard rocks rolling off the hillside to my left. A 6x5 bull walked right down on top of me at about 30 yards. I shoot left handed so I was having a hard time getting around on him. He started walking off which gave me the opportunity to get myself ready for the shot.

I took the shot at 138 yards with my Browning Lever Action 308. He crashed off thru the tree then all when silent. I was about to pass out at this point. I waited 20 minutes and walked to where he was standing when I shot. There was blood on the ground and I was about to bust. I tracked him for about 100 yards and found him up against a blow down. You can only imagine what I felt like taking my first bull elk on DIY hunt by myself. As a foot note, you will have to figure out for yourself what I said when this Texas whitetail hunter walked up on a 700 pound elk.

I had him quartered and hung up by noon. The first call I made when I got back and was able to was to my brother. He couldn't believe it. I packed him out the next day and headed back to Texas on monday. My dad was so proud of me. My mom was just glad I was a still alive. My dad kept asking questions and wanting me to keep telling him what happened. As you know, that was tough to do.

That one's going to be hard to top.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Raider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My biggest hunting accomplishments... Helping my kids. My daughter, when she was young, followed me on trapline and hunting. Watching her have success turkey and deer hunting.
    My son, who is now 13, helping him the last few yrs. Whether it was fishing, hunting and a little trapping it is most satisfying for me to see them succeed. Although im not so sure its real beneficial to them if dad helps too much. Haha. But when they go do those things on their own you know you've done something right. So my own personal accomplishments don't mean much to me I guess, just laying down a path for them.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JMBC For This Useful Post: