Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Great bulls guys and I remember that show and the mag. article. The biggest thing is that I just love those kid and family photos. Keep em coming!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My biggest hunting accomplishments include a nice 5x6 bull in the Gila with my rifle and a great 4x4 muley in Northern NM with my rifle. As of the last two years I have become obsessed with the quest to kill my first big game animal with a bow and that is what I would like to accomplish within the coming years Lord willing. Until then all I can do is train and pray that God has it in his plan to bring me success with my bow this upcoming hunting season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    bucksnbulls nice job on a great first bull. what part of sd do u live in?
    Thanks! I live in Webster. You?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Man good question!! I have been hunting for almost 40 years and out west for half of that. By far my most memorable and most humbling would be my first Pope and Young taken on a Solo trip back in the 90s. I had been trying and bow hunting hard for years before and committed to do whatever I could do to make it happen on a general public land Montana hunt. My hunting buddy couldn't make it so I went solo. I can remember every detail from the highs and lows of the hunt. It was very rough steep high country and chasing bulls was extremely tough. My boots were a few years old and my feet were in bad shape but pushed ahead not giving up. On the eighth day I finally got a break and had figured out were the elk were headed. I made a mad rush 1 mile away down from 10500ft to 8500ft and set up on a pair of trails the elk had been using. Getting setup on a small knoll between the two trails each trail 10yds on each side of me, I heard them coming a herd of about 40 animals. They came off the mountain down both trails, it sounded like a stampede and thought I was going to get run over. Of course the Bull I wanted was pulling up the rear bugling every few seconds. As He got closer I started to get nervous and just focused on him. As he came down the trail pushing cows he stopped 10 yards from me and bugled!! I remember shaking in my boots and the hair standing up on the back of my neck when I released the arrow I saw it vanish right behind the shoulder and watch him run about 50yds and topple over. I could have sworn I felt the ground shake when he hit the ground! Since the adrenaline was pumping so hard I had no problems prepping him and packing him out that night by myself. I have shot quite a few other elk but that bull and that first solo trip is the one that I feel is my biggest hunting accomplishment. Have you ever looked at your bow then looked at a mature elk and asked yourself what the he!! am I doing!!
    Its funny I still hunt that same place to this day and the Bull's are there every year.

First Pope and Young Elk.
    Last edited by 25contender; 03-04-2014 at 02:12 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BucksnBulls View Post
    Thanks! I live in Webster. You?
    I was just out in Webster perch fishing, hope to come back in late March.

I've had a lot of tough hunts that turned out successful, and all of those are memorable. But I think my greatest accomplishment was killing my 59" Canadian moose with a bow back in 2005. My Dad and I went on a semi-guided hunt in Ontario and by semi-guided I mean the outfitter supplied the tags and food and lodging, and pointed to a spot on the map 18 road miles away from camp. We got a little off-course the first day, but found the right beaver swamp the second day. I called a few times during the day, and at last light, the big bull came swaggering and grunting down the shore of the pond right toward us. My Dad and I were shoulder to shoulder, and I said "You shoot him if he stays along the pond and I'll shoot him if he comes through the cattails." The bull popped out 60 yards from us, looking right in our direction, we thought we were busted. Then he turns to go through the cattails and stops broadside at 25 yards. I didn't have bull fever, but I was absolutely mesmerized by this gigantic, beautiful animal. My Dad whispered to shoot, so I drew and shot right as the bull stepped forward. I hit him through the liver and he took off running. I let out a loud grunt, and sure enough, he stops quartering away at 50 yards, and I double-lung him. We watch him go down. After field-dressing, we got into camp pretty late, and everyone is at the cook shack. One particularly loudmouth hunter asks "Did you get lost?" I said "Nope" He said "Did you shoot something?" I said "Yep" We showed everyone pics from my digital camera. Turns out to be the biggest moose the outfitter had ever taken. The funniest part of the whole hunt is that we didn't see another moose the whole 7 days. You'd think driving 18 miles in the dark every morning and evening a moose would have come across the road, or seen one while trying to fill my Dad's tag, but we didn't. That's when I really learned it's better to be lucky than good.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    To many cool things to write down. But probably my 3/4 grand slam. just need the desert ram to get the grand slam. That one might take awhile though.

the funny thing is I started harvesting animals when I made the conscience decision to not hunt with my father. Tough decision but everyone needs to learn when to go out on their own.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As much as I like my own accomplishments, I always get excited about my kids first year of hunting. My folks had a piece of land in central Oregon. My son and I took off up the hill at first light. We spotted 2 does and a buck a long way out. We spent about 1 1/2 hrs cutting the distance down to about 150yds. I worked hard to contain myself because he was a dandy, and I didn't want the kid to get jacked up any more. The kid made it happen. He is 4x4 at 25.5 wide.

Elk season was equally as great. Hunted with a big family group. Had a successful hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    DIY ALASKA

14 day's, 13 day's of rain! Hunting partner and I both took 50 inch moose and I harvested a caribou with 416 inches of bone! Dodged a few grizz, survived one night of 100 mph winds. Lost 15 pounds humping meat and the mountain. Biggest accomplishment? Making one quart of whiskey last 14 day's!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've managed to kill a few decent animals in my short adult life, but nothing has been more gratifying then having my 3 year old daughter begging me to take her hunting last fall. It was cold and raining, she was wearing tennis shoes and sweat pants but we managed to hike a good half mile from a road and sit down and glass a little. The highlight was when she finally picked out a deer that had been staring at us. "Dad there is a deer, shoot it I'm hungry!" I couldn't have been happier.

#KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodtick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I think mine is yet to come, I have had fantastic adventures so far, but now that we have had our first daughter I for see some really awesome accomplishments to come in the future...