Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts

NM sheep, oryx and ibex

Just got this in an email from NMGF. Not cool to change the game on everyone for this draw, after everyone had already committed...

Court ruling gives New Mexico resident hunters better odds in drawings for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex
    ALBUQUERQUE – New Mexico resident hunters scored a big victory Monday with a U.S. District Court ruling that allows the Department of Game and Fish to reinstate quotas that give state residents a big advantage over nonresidents when applying for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex hunting licenses.
    “This is an important decision and a huge win for New Mexico hunters,” said Paul Kienzle, newly elected chairman of the State Game Commission. “It’s been a long fight, but New Mexicans now have a good shot at those quality hunts, as intended by the governor and the state legislature.”
    Monday’s ruling by Chief U.S. District Judge Christina Armijo vacated a 1977 injunction that prohibited the Department from applying preferential quotas that benefited state residents in the drawings for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex licenses. Because of that injunction, nonresident hunters enjoyed equal odds with residents in the annual drawings.
    Beginning with this year’s draw, resident hunters who apply for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex licenses will enjoy the same odds as those who applied for any other big-game species. Currently, state residents receive 84 percent of all public licenses issued through drawings. Nonresidents receive 6 percent and hunters using outfitters – residents and nonresidents – qualify for 10 percent of public licenses. The application deadline for 2014-15 big-game licenses was March 19.
    “The injunction has prevented the Department from complying with state law to the detriment of New Mexico residents and in opposition to the will of the governor and the legislature,” Department Legal Counsel Allison Marks said. “Judge Armijo unequivocally found New Mexico’s statutory quota does not violate federal law. The judge’s quick decision affords the Department the opportunity to make immediate changes to the draw system in order to comply with state law.”
    Several conservation organizations supported the Department’s motion to vacate the injunction. They included United Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, the New Mexico Chapter of the Wild Sheep Foundation, the New Mexico Wildlife Federation and the Southern New Mexico Chapter of Safari Club International.
    The injunction applied only to bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex because at the time of the legal challenge, they were the only species of big game in New Mexico for which the State Game Commission provided an in-state preference for license allocation. The injunction was issued in connection with a 1974 lawsuit by David B. Terk, a Texas resident and hunter. Terk challenged New Mexico’s license allocation system that gave him a lower chance of drawing a license than state residents would enjoy.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So according to this release 10% of the oryx tags at white sands will now go to hunters with outfitters? Wonder if I could modify my nr application and have a outfitter put in for the draw.
    I agree with fink not good to change the rules after they have our money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Considering the sheep applicants didn't have to apply with outfitters kiss that portion of the allocation goodbye.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yea what a joke. I have a hard time believing it is legal to change the rules like that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I knew this was coming just not today. It sux to live in a state that caters to out a staters and to hunt states that severely penalize them

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    I, too, am not happy that NM is changing the rules after the application deadline and after they have our money It will be interesting to see how they handle the NR portion of the draw this year. Since no one had any reason to sign with an outfitter to go into the guide draw for those species this year, I'm wondering if NM will lump the 6% unguided draw with the 10% guided draw resulting in a 16% pool for NR's for this year. Still, way less chance for NR's than in the previous years.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    First year applying in NM and they yank the rug out from under me. Oh well, the chances of drawing were slim at best anyway. I won't be applying anymore. Too much money fronted to them for such a little chance.

Maybe this is what Zim is always talking about. They take your money then change the system on you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    I knew this was coming just not today. It sux to live in a state that caters to out a staters and to hunt states that severely penalize them
    I hear that...

I understand the desire to give the residents of the state more opportunity to hunt the more 'once in a lifetime' type animals, but to change the game, AFTER you've collected what has to be multiple millions of dollars in tag fees, has got to be criminal in some fashion.

Next step for New Mexico: Banning non resident hunters..... Unless they buy a transferrable, to any ground in the unit, landowner tag. Those are okay.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    I got that e-mail too. Not impressed...
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    I guess I got lucky and drew an oryx tag on the white sands small missile base on my first try in 1991. I shot a nice 38 1/2 in oryx. With the mulie populations going in the shitter in a lot of states, impossible draw odds and the shitty hunting in my home state of WA, sure makes getting older a little easier to take, but only a little