Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts

CO Unit 2 Archery or Unit 61 Muzzleloader Elk

Hi Guys…..I have been contemplating this decision for a very long time. I'm at 22 points and am trying to decide how to apply for CO elk this year as a non-resident. I would virtually be guaranteed a Unit 61 muzzleloader tag. I should have about 25% odds to draw Unit 2 archery elk. I have "decided" to hunt Unit 61 several times but then second guess myself.

My goal is a solid 330+ bull whichever unit I hunt. I have three bulls better than that, but I don't expect Colorado to produce my best bull. We just want a quality experience with a solid chance at a nice bull.

My wife will be my hunting partner. She loves to hunt and wants to experience the elk rut. I do like to keep my hunts in more moderate terrain when she joins me and I know Unit 61 is usually a physically tougher unit to hunt.

I will be doing the hunt DIY and investing about 18 days in the field.

I though I would throw it out there to see where you guys would recommend I apply? I would especially like hearing from members who have hunted either unit (or both)! Thanks a bunch for your advice.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-28-2014 at 08:52 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Go 2 archery ftw!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I would go for the ML hunt and I have herd good things about 61. But then again I like ML hunting and I have not bow hunted yet so I could bias.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    UH, I don't know what is going to happen in CO with our new 5 year structure, The Colorado wildlife commision is taking sugestions and will rule in August or September, but I think some changes have to happen with the growing amount of hunters with a ton of PPs. I think you might want to burn them now so your not screwed. I think 2 is better than 61 but I also know NRs who have 24 points and cant draw in the NW corner. 61 isnt that tough of ground to hunt, if your wife can hunt sheep, she can handle that country.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    UH, I don't know what is going to happen in CO with our new 5 year structure, The Colorado wildlife commision is taking sugestions and will rule in August or September, but I think some changes have to happen with the growing amount of hunters with a ton of PPs. I think you might want to burn them now so your not screwed. I think 2 is better than 61 but I also know NRs who have 24 points and cant draw in the NW corner. 61 isnt that tough of ground to hunt, if your wife can hunt sheep, she can handle that country.
    Good info BKC…I have been feeling the same way about the preference point situation. This year I know what to expect. Next year I don't. Colorado has been one of the most vocal about wanting to see a change.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    I've spent a lot of time in unit 2 and know it very well and I would hunt in unit 2 no question. There are some nice bulls in 61 but you will be contending with more dirt bikes, grouse hunters, bear hunters, deer hunters, etc. it won't be near the same quality hunt that 2 can provide. The bull/ cow ratio is also a lot higher in unit 2 and the bulls are very responsive to calls. Remember, there are quite a few bulls that die of old age in 2 and that is not really the case in 61. If you know where the hidden water holes are in unit 2 you will see the big bulls.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Let me put it this way. I have 3 friends with enough points to draw 61 but are about 1 point shy of 2 and not one of them is even considering 61 even though they are completely fed up with the points thing. They have spent quite a bit of time in 61 as well but they are adamant that 2 is that much better.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Granby guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    UH, you might remember I've spent a considerable amount of time hunting unit 61. We have a cabin in the unit and I kinda grew up hunting there. I agree the terrain would be considered mild compared to a lot of areas. Lots of flat walking or gradual climbs. There are steep areas if you get in the canyons but nothing compared to areas with high peaks above timberline. I personally think it's a great area for kids and or females. My daughter has shot a couple cows there and I have plenty of younger relatives that have killed elk there. The unit doesn't get a lot of pressure so I wouldn't be overly concerned about deer, bear, and grouse hunters. The dirt bike thing is nothing I've ever experienced either??? I know nothing of unit 2. 61 can be great or a dud, depending on your expectations. Chances are you'll get into lots of elk, the problem will be finding a bull you want to shoot. I hear lots of guy's that had a hard time finding one big enough. Tough decision...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 2 Posts
    UH- As a resident, I am in the same boat. I have more than enough points for 61 but not enough for 2(currently at 16 points). I too have been going back and forth on what to do. I have hunted 61 a few times in the past, a couple deer hunts and two elk hunts. it is awesome country to say the least and my dad ended up getting a smaller six point bull but nothing I would feel happy with after spending all those points. I will probably continue to build points but it is getting tougher and tougher to hold out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado T View Post
    UH- As a resident, I am in the same boat. I have more than enough points for 61 but not enough for 2(currently at 16 points). I too have been going back and forth on what to do. I have hunted 61 a few times in the past, a couple deer hunts and two elk hunts. it is awesome country to say the least and my dad ended up getting a smaller six point bull but nothing I would feel happy with after spending all those points. I will probably continue to build points but it is getting tougher and tougher to hold out.
    CT did your dad hunt the rut hunts (bow or muzzleloader) or one of the rifle hunts?