Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Doesn't bother me a bit. I'm happy to hunt another state and give some animals a ride home.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Yeah but your WapitiBob and you can just park your truck, walk 100 yards, cow call once and a 375 bull comes running in and stands broadside at 15 yards. The rest of us walk 20 miles a day uphill both ways and are lucky to see a cow. LOL

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado T View Post
    It seems to get worse every year for me. Not only have I been stressing about my 16 elk points in my home state, but now I have two of my sons old enough to hunt and worrying what I should do for them. Start building them points at an early age, or draw tags each year just to get them out. We used to have a pretty good unit for deer and elk that I looked forward to taking them too but the quality of hunt has seemed to drop each year to where all we see are hunters and no game. Decisions, decisions....
    IMO the best thing you can do is BOTH! Points for the kids in different states but definitely hunting somewhere every year. Just like with fishing, kids would rather catch 100 four inch bluegill in a day than 1 three pound bass!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I usually do not have a ton of anxiety because I put in for units with fairly steep odds however I dream about drawing those tags and that sometimes keeps me up at night. I will check a website multiple times a day to see if results are posted because I'm an optimist.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Only anxiety I get is when I don't make it out west Elk hunting!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    I'm also approaching 20 points in many states. But I never feel anxiety. I treat the application season like a hobby. studying & strategizing. I even use an Excel chart to identify hunt overlaps. But in the end luck plays a huge role, and there's nothing we can do about that, so I don't worry. Considering I've been applying for around 40 hunts each year since 1996, I consider myself on borrowed time that I've never once drawn conflicting hunts. It has to happen some day, and I may end up blowing long saved points, but that's OK as I just consider that risk the price of admission.

I've hit on some good tags early like Nevada elk with 6 points, but now drawing some of the super long shots like New Hampshire moose due to high points. Nothing would surprise me anymore, except in Utah where SFW has taken it to a new level, kidnapping tags for auction, creating Powerball odds for every species.
    Last edited by Zim; 03-01-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My anxiety comes before putting. Once I put in I am confident in my research, theme it's just the anxiety of editing to draw

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 58 Times in 6 Posts
    I'm not one bit worried about my research, and I think I speak for a lot of guys on here research is the last thing were worried about. My biggest problem I guess is producing an animal that I'd be happy with or getting an animal that whoever I'm helping at the time would be tickle with. I had a really fun hunt in Idaho in 2012 I ended up killing a buck after two weeks of hunting, I was flat wore out and he was a decent 4x4 still in velvet. Even though I had a month more to hunt I ended up taking him. And now when I look at him I think "what if"!! What if I went back at the end of the season, what if I changed locations one more time. I think I'm to critical with myself and worry about the perception that my so called friends are going to have of my hunt.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    haha haven't really thought about turning in 15+ pts yet... but I'm sure it'll happen.

Honestly I think I would just hope for a good moisture year etc... and hope the hunting is on par as it should be... I'm fine putting the rest of the pressure on me... but sometimes things just conspire against you on a hunt ha.

also sometimes you just have to roll the dice... but I think if you do your job, there's not much to hold your head down about if you simply didn't get lucky...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    This is the problem with trophy hunting... you put so much pressure on yourself! Especially when you spend lots of money, burn lots of point, or draw a once in a lifetime type hunt. I'm right there with everybody else, I wish I could fight off the nerves or anxiety from the draw process clear through the hunt. My sheep hunt although fun (mostly because I was successful) was a stressful time! I about made myself sick worrying about not getting one and blowing my one and only chance. After the hunt it felt like the gorilla was off my back. Then I draw a once in a lifetime moose tag the very next year! I don't think I had enough in me to be as stressed about it as I was the sheep hunt. In the end it turned out good too. I didn't really draw anything last year just to kinda take a break. Hunted with friends in low expectation areas and hunted cows with my daughter... much more relaxing!
    Last edited by CoHiCntry; 03-01-2014 at 02:00 PM.