Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts

CVA Accura or Optima?

I am thinking of adding a new CVA "Northwest" legal muzzleloader to my bag of tricks. This NW version is available in the Optima and the Accura. The only difference between the Northwest Edition and the "standard" versions, from what I have learned, is the breech plug and the firing pin. With parts (new breech plug and firing pin assembly) they can be converted to the "standard" Optima and Accura which fires 209 primers. I like that since I plan to use it for a "multi-state" muzzleloader.

The price of the Optima is considerably better than the Accura and it looks like a great muzzleloader for the money. Is it worth spending the extra money on the Accura or will the Optima work just fine. If you own an Optima are you happy with it?

Here are the differences as I understand it:

Trigger: Accura is adjustable, and the Optima is a set trigger, but reports I have read is both are excellent triggers. Is that true?

Barrel: Essentially the same barrel, but the Accura has more lapping and cleaning steps for improved accuracy. For Oregon (open sights), both are probably fine for accuracy, but what about in say NM where I can scope the muzzleloader?

Stock: Accura is supposed to have a better "feel", but it is a longer length of pull, so maybe a bit long for my wife?

Weight: Optima looks to be about 10 ounces lighter.

I have the original Accura and love it, but it can't be converted to an Oregon legal muzzleloader, so I will likely end up selling it.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-20-2014 at 12:04 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have an Optima its a very accurate gun my only complaint is if you bump the lever that breaks the gun it comes open and the primer falls out. I've had it happen several times while having it slung on my shoulder.
    Last edited by RUGER M77; 04-02-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Accura has the better barrel to be honest. Bergera barrels are pretty nice. I bought one for my brother's Encore and it helped the accuracy significantly. Having said that, my friends Optima shoots really good as well. I'm a Blackhorn 209 guy though, so shooting anything that's not 209 primer based would be difficult for me. I don't want to go back to using pyrodex or 777

My thoughts would be that your chances of getting the best accuracy would be from the accura. You may buy an optima that shoots great, and you may get one that will make you go crazy at the range trying to get it lined out. The tolerances will most always be better in a custom barrel, and that's essentially what you're getting with the accura. Good luck!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't have any experience with either of these 2 but I do have a wolf and it is great in the thick areas because of the short barrel. I have taken deer and coyotes out to 170 yds with it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bought the Optima. We will see how it shoots. Everyone that has shot one I've heard from has been very pleased.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Planning to use it if you elk hunt Colorado this year, or sticking with the Knight?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Planning to use it if you elk hunt Colorado this year, or sticking with the Knight?
    If I get a good load worked out I'll hunt with the Optima. Test fired it last night, hit an 8" gong at 100 yards on the first and only shot. Doesn't tell me a lot, but it was encouraging. If I hadn't bought the Optima, I would have probably hunted with my first gen Accura.