Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WY unit 90-1

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

WY unit 90-1

Ok after doing more research I'm now thinking about putting in for 90-1 instead of 48-1 or 55. I like the idea of more public land and not having to worry about trespassing so much. Again we have 4 points in the regular draw so I think we should have a good chance to draw. What are all your thoughts on 90-1? Better to hunt opening day or in October? Are the numbers back up in that area? I appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully I'm not over thinking all this. I just want a fun hunt with my dad and son with plenty of antelope and a chance for a mid 70's buck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Pretty much any unit you go in, especially ones that take a few PPs, will have bucks of that caliber. I have no idea about goat numbers in that unit, but IMHO the best time to go with the dates for those units being 9/10-10/31 would be the last week of September through the first week of October when the rut is going good and there's a good chance that bucks, especially good ones, will be hanging around the does. There is plenty of public land in 1 or 2, but you will probably not draw 2 without going into the Special Draw, as the Regular Draw took <6PPs for a 100% chance at a tag. 4PPs will not draw it from what the odds chart shows unless you go for the Special tag. The type 1 tag took <3PPs for a 100% chance at drawing in the Regular Draw, so that is your best for a tag without going the higher price route. There were 225 total tags issued to NRs in 1 last year and 200 in 2 and it will probably stay about the same unless some real bad weather hits this Spring and kills a bunch of animals. So far the whole state has been pretty decent weatherwise on antelope and deer from what I'm hearing from various residents throughout the state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 59 Times in 6 Posts
    Numbers are still down in the Green River basin, but don't let that deter you there are still a bunch of antelope running around out there just not like it was 3-4 years ago. I'd say a mid 70's is more than do-able and access is great, you will get a little interference with elk hunters the closer you get up towards the foothills of the WR's, there is antelope that hang around up there because thats got a fair amount of private. If I were you I'd hunt the south end of the unit along the Big Sandy river, the antelope stay close as thats a primary water source for them out there. Hope this helps.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by rob270340 View Post
    Ok after doing more research I'm now thinking about putting in for 90-1 instead of 48-1 or 55. I like the idea of more public land and not having to worry about trespassing so much. Again we have 4 points in the regular draw so I think we should have a good chance to draw. What are all your thoughts on 90-1? Better to hunt opening day or in October? Are the numbers back up in that area? I appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully I'm not over thinking all this. I just want a fun hunt with my dad and son with plenty of antelope and a chance for a mid 70's buck.
    I know when I draw a lope tag i get itchy and wanna hunt em ASAP! No better way to kick off a season than with a good early hunt. I think you will have a fantastic hunt in 90/1 and if you make sure to look over a few bucks before you pull the trigger, a mid 70s buck will be no problem.
    If you wanna have a fun hunt pick up doe tags also, or the fun may be over too quick! Might have a better chance at good weather by going in September!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have hunted both Unit 90 and Unit 48. It is true that 90 does not have the private property issues that 48 does. In either unit you can take a mid 70s buck and have opportunities at an 80. You will look over a lot of bucks in either unit. Just by the fact 90 is closer to home for me, doesn't have the private land, and I think the trophy quality is a little better I and going to save a couple more points and wait for 90. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    There were 225 total tags issued to NRs in 1 last year and 200 in 2 and it will probably stay about the same unless some real bad weather hits this Spring and kills a bunch of animals.
    Those tag totals are for res and nores combined not just nonres. Should be able to have a quality hunt with plenty of goats to look at. Good luck in the draws and the hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I would try to hunt around 10/1 and try to time it so your hunt starts on a monday because there are usually less hunters during the week. Any time after the first 2 weekends of the season should be good.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nunt'nbutmuleys View Post
    There were 225 total tags issued to NRs in 1 last year and 200 in 2 and it will probably stay about the same unless some real bad weather hits this Spring and kills a bunch of animals.
    Those tag totals are for res and nores combined not just nonres. Should be able to have a quality hunt with plenty of goats to look at. Good luck in the draws and the hunt.
    **That is correct and my mistake, as I was still thinking about the NR draw odds I had mentioned, while the Final Regulations published with the dates and tag total are indeed for all hunters. Thanks for noting that and correcting my mistake!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 03-02-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice! Unit 90-1 sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. Just need to get lucky and draw!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I would try to hunt around 10/1 and try to time it so your hunt starts on a monday because there are usually less hunters during the week. Any time after the first 2 weekends of the season should be good.
    I don't think it would matter when you hunted after the first couple weekends. You'll probably have the unit pretty much to yourself as the resident hunters will have already whacked their animals.

90-1 or 48-1 - probably the same quality of animals. 48-1 does have private land / checkerboard issues, but there is more than enough land to hunt - especially if you have a GPS unit with a chip. I'll say this - 90-1 doesn't have the Miracle Mile of the Platt, and that is the draw that keeps me coming back to 48 and 63 in the fall. Too bad my points are now burned and it will be 3-4 years before I'm back there again for a cast and blast-style hunt.