Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: elk strategy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

elk strategy

What is your plan for for elk do you hunt every year or only when you can draw a tag in a great area? I like to hunt every year so I apply where I have a good chance of drawing. The years I don't draw I get a cow tag for the area we hunt. Lets here everones strategy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can get a tag every year in my home state but its spike only and pretty low success rate and is more scouting for hopefully drawing an any bull tag someday. Idaho I can get a general tag anytime and its 1 of my back pocket hunts if I dont draw anywhere else. WY Im looking at some units that take 3-5 points. NV I could be in for a very long wait but I dont mind having 1 thats a long shot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Living in OR you hunt here every year if you want. I just put in for a draw tag and if unsuccessful I get a point, and I go general bow, general bull 1st season or general bull 2nd season depending on what other tags I draw out of state.I treat OR as my opportunity state.(elk meat and hunting w/family) I always put in for UT, NV and put in or pts for WY, CO. This year I added a late season AZ try,and usually I put in for MT special draw when I plan on deer hunting there. ID and NM get used for years when I'm short on hunts or just feeling lucky, so they get skipped a lot. If I ever draw more than 1 or 2 tags in the same year I may be in trouble. Some years like this year when I know I'll be going to AK I just will get pts. I have a good chance to draw UT so it's either points or super hard to draw tags everywhere else. The plan is basically, now that I'm getting points racked up, is to go on 1 or 2 hunts besides OR per year. With any luck those should include more elk hunts in years to come!
    Last edited by gonhunting247; 03-03-2014 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    I hunted every other year since moving out of Wyoming up until 8 years ago. That's when I started gaining points for my "once in a lifetime" elk hunt in a blue chip area. I drew my tag this year so I hope it was worth the wait. Next year I will go back to every other year (hopefully) general tag hunting. In off years I drive out to hunt antelope, mule deer, and cow moose when I draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've never been lucky enough to draw an elk permit in Montana. Every year I get a point and hunt in general OTC areas. Trophy quality in general areas is just as good in most permit areas in Montana. I stay away from the breaks because I don't like to see other people when I'm elk hunting. Its hard hunting on public land, but if you're mobile and not afraid to bust your butt, you can kill a bull every year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My strategy is to go on 1 out of state big game hunt every year, so elk kinda gets rotated. Since 2011 I've been out after black bear, antelope, and elk, and 2014 will be elk again.
    This is in addition to a couple whitetail hunts out of town but in state, as well as Michigan turkey with a fellow electrician I met in Indiana.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    I hunted every other year since moving out of Wyoming up until 8 years ago. That's when I started gaining points for my "once in a lifetime" elk hunt in a blue chip area. I drew my tag this year so I hope it was worth the wait. Next year I will go back to every other year (hopefully) general tag hunting. In off years I drive out to hunt antelope, mule deer, and cow moose when I draw.
    Where are you elk hunting at this year Hilltop? I will be in WY 23.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPickar View Post
    I've never been lucky enough to draw an elk permit in Montana. Every year I get a point and hunt in general OTC areas. Trophy quality in general areas is just as good in most permit areas in Montana. I stay away from the breaks because I don't like to see other people when I'm elk hunting. Its hard hunting on public land, but if you're mobile and not afraid to bust your butt, you can kill a bull every year.
    How true about the breaks. Back in the late 80s early 90s a friend and myself would hunt the breaks and we would be one of the few camps for miles. I couldn't wait to go back and bow hunt the breaks every year. Sometime in the 90s there was a big writeup in a magazine I think Field and stream about the breaks and ever since it has been wall to wall hunters. I cant blame them it is a easy hunt as far as the terrain and altitude but the odds of shooting a monster now with all the hunters is pretty tough. Ever since then I have been heading higher and higher in rough country and it has paid off. I quit putting in for LE permits many years ago and still see lots of decent animals. Ready for this year!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would personally rather hunt more frequently with less chance of a trophy. I'll go OTC and bank points, but I'm kind of undecided if the points are worth it for an out of stater like me. I think I will increase my chances of getting a good bull more by really learning one unit than by hopping around on LE tags where I'm going in with little scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kesand72 View Post
    Where are you elk hunting at this year Hilltop? I will be in WY 23.
    Area 108 south of Rawlins.