Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 8 Posts

How many of you use "Mountain Boots?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tibet Superwarm GTX.2106660997.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	8932
    How many of you use a stiff "mountain boot" for hunting? I am talking like a Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, Lowa Sheep Hunter etc.

If so, what model, brand and why?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-boots copy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	8933
    Last edited by ScottR; 03-18-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    I have a pair of Lowa Tibets and Sheep hunters. I got a pair of Crispi GTX last year. I like them for the support the give to my weak girlish arches. I think they help with climbing rock ledges and soft steep hill sides by keeping your feet straight with the stiff soles. The Crispi have better ankle support then the Lowas IMO.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I had the Lowa Sheep Hunters for a couple seasons when they first came out. The heel cup didn't work out that great for me. Same story with the Kenetreks.

I had great luck with the Hanwag Mountain Lights, but they are more of a hybrid mountain boot.

This year I am trying the "norweigan welted" Zamberlan Latemar. So far so good with those.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I’m not all that fond of stiff boots. So far I have not found a good one yet I suppose. I have a pair of Lowa Hunter Extremes that I will only wear in very cold conditions. I have heal issues using the boot and I have to be careful using it or I get blisters easy on my heals.

I don’t have any ankle support issues wearing a lighter mid high boot like a Cabelas Active Trail Waterproof Mid hiker. Something like that kind of boot works for me generally. The heaver pack loads, cold weather or real wet conditions do get more challenging depending on the terrain but I just prefer a lighter trail boot but that is just my preference.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Lowa baffins. Going on 3 seasons, only complaint is not buying quality boots sooner.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    I will say this. You absolutely with no doubt whatsoever will need to try many boots to find the ones that fit your feet! Boots are not whats good for one are good for another.

My Lowa Sheep Hunters I've had since 2006 and have been my fav boot for years. Then a year ago for some reason started to hurt the top of my feet down the left and right of my feet under the lace loops. I tried different socks, foot beds and still they hurt. No so bad that I don't wear them for a day but no way more then that.

The Lowa Tibet's I've had since 2007 never had a problem and are still my early season boots.

Since the Sheet Hunters started to hurt I picked up the Crispi on Camofire and I freakin love them! Not as stiff as Lowa but plenty of support. I put the Lathrop and Son Synergy foot beds and made them even more comfy. I wear the heack out of them, while hunting or training before a hunt even when I just walk around the neiborhood with the wife.

I will pick up some early season Crispi when I can and hope they are as good as the other pair.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    I wear the Kenetrek mountain extreme...Love them. Have had one pair for 3 seasons now...well over 180 days of use while guiding, and they are still holding up great. I also wear Kenetrek Pac Boots once the snow starts accumulating. I found my Extremes on Camofire for half-off back then...wish i would have bought a couple more pairs!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 5 Posts
    I'm still running the Canadian Meindl boots and I got 2 pairs still in boxes, When Cabela's discontinued them to a $150 I couldn't pass up burning my points for boots that'll last me well into my 40's... I wear them for everything, from hunting upland game, antelope to high country elk and deer.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and Lowa Ranger GTX. I think the Kenetreks are more comfortable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wear the Asolo TPS 520 GV

The reason I picked this boot was due to the support it gave without inhibiting my movement. The specs on the boot are comparable to boots that most see as heavier mountain boots however mine are roughly 6" boots. They fit around my leg just right and the arch is perfect. I don't even hike on a trail while hunting and in order to get to the spot I hunt it takes me roughly 3 hours to climb 1200 feet and travel .7 miles along the path. It is rough hiking and the boot has never failed me. I have to be careful on wet logs and rocks.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All