Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts
    I will throw in my thoughts on what I look for in a boot beyond just fit:

1. The boot must not look like a waffle, it needs to be primarily made from a single piece of leather for a somewhat rigid fit.
    2. I like an aggressive tread, that isn't too soft. Soft means that it will be slipping and sliding all over the place. Too hard of a sole will be even worse.
    3. The lacing system must hold the strings tight. This may sound trivial but I have had brush that will pull on the laces and take them right off the hooks.

What do you guys look for?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    I say roger on all Scotts comments.

It may seem obvious but the first thing I look for is perfect arch support and a great footbed. I have suffered from plantar fasciitis for years and after walking miles and miles at steep angles a boot that fits my foot perfectly is an absolute necessity.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OregonJim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I used the Cabela's Meindle Perfekt Hunters this past year in WY. They did very well and fit my feet great. They really didn't seem to need much break in at all. Only complaint is that they can get too warm when temps are mild since they have 400 gram Thinsulate insulation. Recently bought a pair of the Lowa Tibet GTX for an uninsulated boot. Been wearing them to get them somewhat broken in. So far they seem to fit really good and are comfortable, but have only worn them on fairly flat ground.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    I'm happy with the Lowa Rangers that I have. Not as rigid as other models; thats why I bought them. I normally hunt from a base camp and don't carry a ton of weight on my back - just day pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have never been willing to go with stiff boots. I have used cabelas lightweight boots and I now have Keens. I will never have tall boots either.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've got several pair of Lowa boots including the Sheep Hunters, Tibets, and Rangers. Since I've been wearing low drop and zero drop minimalist shoes for running and training though wearing boots with a lot of heel to toe drop now kills my feet.

If the weather is nice I prefer trail runners. I'd be interested in a low drop or zero drop minimalist boot though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 8 Posts
    Several sport injuries to my lower legs have resulted in me preferring super stiff boots, especially in the ankles! I wished I could wear some trail runners but If I step in a hole wrong I'll be done for!!
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    I bought a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots before last years season. I changed out the insoles to the Lanthrop insoles and love the boots with either a med or heavy weight merino wool sock. At first I really didn't care for the boots but after trying different socks and lacing techniques it all came together. I am a firm believer now that the combination of the above makes a huge difference on how the boot wears on your feet. I also learned that the way you lace your boots makes a super huge difference on how they wear.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    woodtick, I definitely had to work into minimalist shoes. My feet and ankles are probably three times stronger than they used to be. The only thing that has really hurt me recently was coming off my young BIL's pogo stick and landing badly.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RockChucker30 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 8 Posts
    I'm worried if I try to work into a minimalists shoe that I'd develop Plantar fasciitis like OregonJim, I had it a couple summers ago when I was really training hard to lose weight and it took me months to rid of it. I've got a pair of Salomon GTX hikers in a box that I've never worn before.
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius