Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado OTC Archery Elk Hunt 2014

I am looking at doing my first elk hunt this fall. I would like to go in the northwest region of CO by Meeker or Craig. I am starting to build up a gear list and check the gmu units to figure out where I have a good chance of getting a legal elk this fall. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, fuse 8 in stabilizer, g5 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, G-5 Montec 100 grain broadhead, tru-fire hardcore release

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So I'm getting the idea that I need to search forums more and get more data from co and eastmans mrs to choose a gmu then try and get specific on that area. Gmu 13 has good stats for 2012 so kinda looking there.
    Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, fuse 8 in stabilizer, g5 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, G-5 Montec 100 grain broadhead, tru-fire hardcore release

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The harvest stats don't tell an accurate story. When I was planning my hunt I built a series of spreadsheets detailing the 5 year harvest average and narrowed it down to one OTC unit that was heads and shoulders above the rest.

When I called the area biologist I found out that the success rate was so high in that unit because it is a very dry area and all the water is on private land. The private is leased by Outfitters, and each waterhole has a blind set up on it.

I wound up going to an area with very rough country with a lot lower success rate. I didn't see another person past a 1/2 mile from the road and I was 3.5 miles back in. I wound up killing a good bull on day five.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ninja, I sent you a PM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RockChucker30 View Post
    The harvest stats don't tell an accurate story. When I was planning my hunt I built a series of spreadsheets detailing the 5 year harvest average and narrowed it down to one OTC unit that was heads and shoulders above the rest.

When I called the area biologist I found out that the success rate was so high in that unit because it is a very dry area and all the water is on private land. The private is leased by Outfitters, and each waterhole has a blind set up on it.

I wound up going to an area with very rough country with a lot lower success rate. I didn't see another person past a 1/2 mile from the road and I was 3.5 miles back in. I wound up killing a good bull on day five.
    Thanks for the heads up. I noticed gmu 13 has a good success rate but little public compared to other units and probably falls right into what you said. Definitely a lot of time needs to be put in to pick the right unit. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would definitely choose an area with lots of public land. As Rockchucker said harvest stats can be very deceiving in units with lots of private land. If you want to get away from the crowds look for areas you can get atleast a mile or 2 from any roads. The only drawback to that is having to pack your elk out farther so just be careful not to get in farther then you can get one out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Public land will be a huge factor, hiking in I'm actually looking forward to. I plan on being able to go 5-10 miles back off roads to set up camp. One of the benefits of being a ff is being physically fit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you haven't yet check out the Colorado BLM mapsor the GMUS maps on mytopo.com. Ive been looking at them lately and they do a pretty good job showing public land and everything else is private. 13 looks pretty white (private). Might be a tough area to find a spot to hunt.

Screen shot of 13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I dont know how many guys are going on your hunt or anything but getting an elk out 5+ miles in archery before it spoiled could be an issue.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    True having coolers of ice in the truck waiting is planned and also boning out the elk and getting cooled off right away. Other than making sure I have a ethical shot and quick recovery just planning on some hard work.