Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 2 Posts
    RockChucker's advice is spot on. Elk like country where there is little hunting pressure which means rough country. Hell every year I hunt I see elk at and above timberline in rocky country that looks like sheep country. Look for lots of public land with decent success rates.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I dont know how many guys are going on your hunt or anything but getting an elk out 5+ miles in archery before it spoiled could be an issue.
    MM is right....you won't realize just how much work an elk is until you have one down. Especially so if this is your first go at it. Be careful you don't underestimate just how difficult it will be if you're back in deep.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MWScott72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfireninja View Post
    Public land will be a huge factor, hiking in I'm actually looking forward to. I plan on being able to go 5-10 miles back off roads to set up camp. One of the benefits of being a ff is being physically fit.
    The only way I'd be more than 3-5 miles out in Archery is if I had a lot of guys available to pack, or I had a horse packer available.

If the country is rough you don't need to be that far back anyway. You'll never out walk the horse camps.

In warm weather you've either got to get the meat cooled off in a stream quickly (in dry bags so it doesn't get wet) or you need to get it out quickly and on ice.

A big bull boned out with rack and skull will weigh north of 250-275 lbs. That kind of weight doesn't divide up into easy loads.

You won't realize how big elk are till you see them. I grew up on a cattle farm and am used to working big animals, and elk are still impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The biggest concern here is temp, like said. So prior to your hunt check out the 10-day forecast and see what types of temps you can expect. The warmer it is.....the closer to the trailhead your should stay or increase your pack force.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All very good info. Thanks guys im taking all this in to help in figuring out exactly where to go.
    Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, fuse 8 in stabilizer, g5 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, G-5 Montec 100 grain broadhead, tru-fire hardcore release

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 5 Posts
    Another option if you do decide to go deep. You may be able to line up a packer that can come in with horses and help pack out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    Another option if you do decide to go deep. You may be able to line up a packer that can come in with horses and help pack out.
    +1 on this ^^^
    Last year I hunted 6-8 miles off the trailhead in some steep and nasty OTC wilderness areas. I had horse packer all lined up and ready in case I tagged out. I was alone and there was no way I was going to get a bull out of there on my own. We really owe it to the animal to be realistic and plan ahead. Good luck and have fun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to H'n'F For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Some very good advice on here about dealing with a downed Elk. They are a load and will just about Kill the average flatlander trying to pack one out on there back. Even Cameron Hanes uses Horses and he's in better shape than most of us will ever be.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Found a gmu that is close enough to Denver that my brother and friends will be able to come out to help pack one out if I am successfull. Appears that Ill be hiking in roughly 4 miles to camp at 10,000 ft and then hunt from there. Was able to get some real solid advice on where to look for the elk...ie northern facing slopes above bowls with water and wallows in them.
    Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, fuse 8 in stabilizer, g5 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, G-5 Montec 100 grain broadhead, tru-fire hardcore release

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfireninja View Post
    Public land will be a huge factor, hiking in I'm actually looking forward to. I plan on being able to go 5-10 miles back off roads to set up camp. One of the benefits of being a ff is being physically fit.
    Being able to sleep and work out while on clock are two benefits lol! I'm just jealous I took the wrong test lol!