Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    For a long time I elk hunted and camped with a one good friend that hunted the same way I do hard!! He passed away so I have been hunting Solo since and a few times before he passed. Even though I really enjoy the freedom of hunting alone and being able to move around with the animals there is something to be said about hunting with a good friend. This year I have a good friend that has been wanting to go and has committed to go. To be honest it will be nice to have someone to hunt with in the high country.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I enjoy hunting alone, actually I prefer it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy family and friends but, there is just something about being in the wilderness(or desert) by myself. I can hunt where I want, when I want and how I want. I guess it's kind of a mountain man feeling when They would go out by themselves and explore new country. To me that is really special especially no that I live in Arizona and I have a lot of new country and hunt units to explore

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 3 Posts
    I enjoy going back to AZ and hunting with my dad and closest friends, but i found out I am smarter and kill bigger animals solo. Moving to Colorado and not knowing anyone, I've learned that there are times you love hunting with family and friends and there are those times where you are better off solo.. Till you knock a full sized elk down then.. Well as said before.. Shit, I wish I had help. Best of luck everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Rockies are the marrow of the world.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 4 Posts
    This is a good thread addressing an issue that I have given a lot of thought over the years because I hunt by myself so often. Hunting with family and/or friends is great, as many of you have stated. However, usually it isn't quite the same as when hunting solo. I think one of the most important aspects of hunting solo is that you can use your intuitive/instinctive reasoning without having to justify your choices to your partner. It's the freedom to follow your instincts and deep seeded senses that sometimes can not be rationally explained but so often produce results.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I share your conflict. If you have time in the seasons do the weekend hunts as spike out solo ventures. Maybe check out those spots you couldn't get to when you were hunting with the family at base camp. If the family is comfortable with it, perhaps you could go coyote out in a basin a couple-three miles from a base camp for a night and hunt back to camp.

If the Family hunt is in a more settled place (Like what I grew up doing in CA); Sometimes you have to look for a tag or species that will force you to do a solo backpack hunt at a different time of season than the traditional Family hunt. Then you serve as campjack, wrangler and cook for the family hunt if you don't have a tag .

Sometimes you just have to modify your expectations. Instead of an 8 day/80 mile backpacking trip on the CDT through the Wind Rivers last summer, I took my parents (73 and 69) with them on horseback and me afoot on a 5 day/38 mile trip on the lower half of the CDT. I'll probably never get another chance to take my mother into the wilderness like that again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    2rocky---That must have been a pretty neat trip you took your parents on---good for you and them to be able to enjoy something like that together!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    That trip in the Wind Rivers would be pretty cool. I am jealous of that trip. Is the lower half by Big Sandy?

I agree with all the posts, I think there needs to be a balance. I enjoy going with family and friends, but I also need some time alone. My grandpa could always out work anyone who went with him and could not sit still, so he would have some solo treks with whoever went with him. I tend to worry a little more about others when I am with a group. If I was to get lost or something I would just deal with it. If my wife and kids were lost or hurt with me, that would be a lot worse. I am also the time of person who needs some time alone anyway, so hunting with someone when I am already ready for solo time can be too much and not enjoyable. For safety I think wilderness trips should probably have two people, but sometimes solo ones are the most rewarding. Someone you don't want to hit on the head with a rock and leave there in the wilderness would probably be a good choice. Just kidding.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 58 Times in 7 Posts
    Great topic ttt, I can relate. I really feel rewarded when I do everthing from start to finsh alone, but at the same time I often wish there was someone to share the experiance with. I really like hunting alone, but camping alone is not my favorite. Packing meat alone has it's challanges too, thankfully I haven't had too many experiances of solo meat packing. I have friends and family that will usually come help once the animal is on the ground. They seem to enjoy packing meat more than hunting, I never really understood that??

As I grew older and my expectations and overall enjoyment for being in the woods increased, nearly all of the people I used to hunt with didn't follow suite. When ever I do hunt with others I usually end up having to tell everyone in the group what to do, where to go ect..that gets a little overbearing sometimes.

I like to take my girls hunting, and when I do, I don't want to have a tag, it's all about them. When I have a tag I prefer to be alone more often than not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    ATW, Yes we came out at Big Sandy. Spent the night at Big Sandy Lodge. Took some logistics to get Vehicles and stock arranged but it worked out well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    That is a really cool area. We met one guy on the trail a couple of years ago who was hiking the whole CDT from Mexico to Canada. Pretty incredible.