Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado's new big game season structure: Submit your ideas!

Recently received an e-mail from a Colorado guide service encouraging hunter's to voice their opinion's on the next 5-year big game structure....

"Colorado Parks & Wildlife manages the state's hunting seasons on a five-year plan. This helps the agency maintain structures long enough to measure impact, yet allows changes often enough for improvements. The current 5-year structure ends in 2014 and the state is now planning its new Big Game Season Structure for 2015-2019.

From now until March 31, the public is encouraged to submit comments and suggestions. The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission will then adopt a new five-year structure at their meeting in September, 2014. Any changes will go into effect during the 2015 hunting seasons, and will last for at least five years, until the next structure comes up for debate.

We would encourage all of our hunters to fill out the public survey and submit comments for this process. For example, here are some of the changes that we would like to see made:

1. We suggest that the archery season start one week later, and end one week later.

2. We would also like to see the first, second and third rifle seasons moved back accordingly, and remove the fourth rifle season altogether. Since the fourth rifle season is limited and not sold over the counter like second and third rifle seasons, it is under-applied for, and serves little purpose. This would also allow a longer break between first and second rifle seasons.

3.. We would like to see all cow hunts take place after the bull hunting seasons. Cows represent the future of our elk herd, and we would like to see fewer harvested each year. A reduced number of cow-only hunts could take place after bull hunting seasons, in late November or December.

4. We would like to see preference point banking reinstated. This system allows hunters to spend only the number of points that it takes to draw a particular unit. Any extra points are kept. Under the current system, if you have 10 points and apply for a unit that takes five points, you will lose all 10 points if you draw. With point banking, the system would take the five points you need, and you'd be allowed to keep the other five."

If you have ideas or comments that you would like to submit, use the following link:

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pa...nlineForm.aspx

Here is a chance to participate in the process. Some other suggestions that come to mind are allowing camera's (ie Go Pro) to be mounted on bows and permission to use lighted nocks for those who wish to do so.

Let's hear some of your comments/opinions.......
    Last edited by live2huntelk; 03-05-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: updated link

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by live2huntelk View Post
    Recently received an e-mail from a Colorado guide service encouraging hunter's to voice their opinion's on the next 5-year big game structure....

"Colorado Parks & Wildlife manages the state's hunting seasons on a five-year plan. This helps the agency maintain structures long enough to measure impact, yet allows changes often enough for improvements. The current 5-year structure ends in 2014 and the state is now planning its new Big Game Season Structure for 2015-2019.

From now until March 31, the public is encouraged to submit comments and suggestions. The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission will then adopt a new five-year structure at their meeting in September, 2014. Any changes will go into effect during the 2015 hunting seasons, and will last for at least five years, until the next structure comes up for debate.

We would encourage all of our hunters to fill out the public survey and submit comments for this process. For example, here are some of the changes that we would like to see made:

1. We suggest that the archery season start one week later, and end one week later.

2. We would also like to see the first, second and third rifle seasons moved back accordingly, and remove the fourth rifle season altogether. Since the fourth rifle season is limited and not sold over the counter like second and third rifle seasons, it is under-applied for, and serves little purpose. This would also allow a longer break between first and second rifle seasons.

3.. We would like to see all cow hunts take place after the bull hunting seasons. Cows represent the future of our elk herd, and we would like to see fewer harvested each year. A reduced number of cow-only hunts could take place after bull hunting seasons, in late November or December.

4. We would like to see preference point banking reinstated. This system allows hunters to spend only the number of points that it takes to draw a particular unit. Any extra points are kept. Under the current system, if you have 10 points and apply for a unit that takes five points, you will lose all 10 points if you draw. With point banking, the system would take the five points you need, and you'd be allowed to keep the other five."

If you have ideas or comments that you would like to submit, use the following link:

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pa...nlineForm.aspx

Here is a chance to participate in the process. Some other suggestions that come to mind are allowing camera's (ie Go Pro) to be mounted on bows and permission to use lighted knocks for those who wish to do so.

Let's hear some of your comments/opinions.......
    I wonder if you would you let us know who you are since this is your first post? Do you represent an organization, or are you just forwarding the email from the guide service. The email you are forwarding is very pro bowhunting with a two week archery extension, yet eliminating the fourth season rifle hunt, affecting rifle hunters. If I had to guess the email is from a guide service who primarily serves archery elk hunters.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-05-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My thoughts exactly... I wouldn't support that structure. Maybe #4 though. And what's that part about cow hunts only after bull hunts? I don't think so...
    Last edited by CoHiCntry; 03-05-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Who's "We" referring to in your post? . . . I would maybe support #4 since I used pp banking back in 2006 and it worked well for my situation. Wouldn't mind it now, either, since I am in "no man's land" for elk . . .

I also fully support efforts to get the muzz antelope season changed to an earlier date . . .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree with you UH, although I don't see where he is extending the archery season by 2 weeks. Although I don't agree with him, his proposal is to push it back a week at the start and the end, no 2 week extension unless I am missing something. I would support #4, it worked for me a few years ago with antelope since I didn't have enough points for the big unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I wonder if you would you let us know who you are since this is your first post? Do you represent an organization, or are you just forwarding the email from the guide service. The email you are forwarding is very pro bowhunting with a two week archery extension, yet eliminating the fourth season rifle hunt, affecting rifle hunters. If I had to guess the email is from a guide service who primarily serves archery elk hunters.
    I am new to Eastman's online forum......have subscribed to Eastman magazines for years. I have DIY hunted Colorado for elk 6 times over the last 15 years. The content of the e-mail that I received from the outfitter is in " ".....hence the reference to "We" is the outfitter. The outfitter has been guiding for 30+ years. I have no connection to the outfitter nor have I had any dealings with the outfiiter other than subscribe to their newsletter.....they guide in a unit near where I hunt. I use the newsletter to see how the winter and spring weather is in the unit and any other possible information that may affect hunting. Thought the "banking points" part would be something others would be interested in voicing their opinion to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd be for them leaving everything alone and worrying more about the animals than making a bunch of hunters who will never fully agree with each other happy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with pack mule and think they should leave the deer and elk seasons alone. The current structure works pretty well but there will always be disagreements no matter what structure is implemented. I am against the point banking option because it will make the points required for mid tier units to explode especially when colorado has so few quality units to begin with. Extending the archery season is not a good option. Since they started limiting the archery and muzzleloaders in the units that I hunt the size of the bulls has increased dramatically. In the past a good bull in these units was 250-260 but now 300 bulls are not uncommon and we are starting to see quite a few 320-330 bulls.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado T View Post
    I agree with you UH, although I don't see where he is extending the archery season by 2 weeks.
    You are right Colorado, I didn't read it quite right. I thought is was archery begin a week "earlier" and end a week later…my bad. Guess it is my lysdexia kicking in again.

Selfishly I would like point banking, but I think it would just hurt things. I have 22 for elk, 8 for deer and my son has 10 for elk and deer. Imagine how many tags we could draw if we played it right.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Point banking would be good for guys with alot of points that dont bank their points because there could end up being alot less guys with more points then them. It would probably be a different story for guys like me wanting to draw with 3-5 because those units would probably get flooded with apps.