Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would You Burn 6 pts on a Deer Tag

According to the MRS they don't advise burning 5+ points on a Wy deer tag. I really want to hunt Region G which is a General season tag that doesn't take 6 pts to draw. I need to burn my pts before I can hunt Reg G. I here 102 is not what it used to be but mule deer unit is nowadays. Is there another sleeper unit. You don't have to reply publicly.

I would be willing to pull my points with someone that has knowledge of a good area. I am looking to see decent bucks 160-170 with a chase at something bigger with a lot of hard work and some luck. I would prefer to bow hunt. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well Region G is a great unit. It took 3 points in the Special draw to get that tag last year so you would be a shoe in. Region G can and has produced large Muleys for a very long time. Give or take a few seasons, that's why it's so popular. You have about a month long season between the northern and southern part of the Region.

I believe it's as good as any.

I put in with 2 points on the special draw. Last year it was 69% so we'll see what happens. What kind of hunt are you looking for? Town hunt? Base camp and hunt from there? Backpack in for a few days? Outfitter drop camp with horses? Fully Outfitted?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would like to backpack in. Maybe hire a packer to get in deeper and spike out from there or hunt out of a drop camp. I want to hunt during archery season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If Region G is the hunt you truly want I say go for it! We all build points to draw the tag we want, when we want it. Just look at those couple extra points as an $80 insurance policy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree use the points on the hunt you want.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There's not a limited quota unit as good as G right now...most of the limited quota areas are good for 130-150 bucks with virtually no chance for anything bigger than 170. There are exceptions, but this advice is for the masses, this is what they'll harvest.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I personally would use the points on Region G if that is what you want. Why wait another few years when there is no guarantee that mule deer conditions will be better. I wouldn't want to burn points on a unit that takes 5 when I have 8. Also, you never know what life may throw at you in the next few years; live life now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    what limited draw areas can you get with 6 points?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    I personally would use the points on Region G if that is what you want. Why wait another few years when there is no guarantee that mule deer conditions will be better. I wouldn't want to burn points on a unit that takes 5 when I have 8. Also, you never know what life may throw at you in the next few years; live life now.
    Well said! No brainer here- burn the points! The nice thing about being in your position is that you KNOW you will draw. Start planning your hunt now instead of waiting on draw results and stressing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    With 6 points you have many many years before you are vying for the top tags in the state. There are still a lot of people left in the max (8 points). Even applicants with one less than max (7 points) after 8 years of the preference system have VERY limited choices. That coupled with the poor condition of the limited entry units and the years it will take for them to recover and you could easily be looking at 8-10 years to draw a quality limited entry unit. So the decision should be do you want to wait 8+ years for a top end unit or hunt region G now?

As a specific example, Unit 102 still requires max to draw in the preference pool, after 8 years in. It could easily take 5-8 years to draw the next lower point pool and another 5-8 years to draw your point pool.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-06-2014 at 09:54 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)