Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Before you know it WY will be just like CO or any other popular state for deer n elk n take 20 years to draw a top tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kesand72 View Post
    Before you know it WY will be just like CO or any other popular state for deer n elk n take 20 years to draw a top tag.
    What few people consider is the benefits of having a ton of applicants locked up chasing a few of the top tags in a state that has a lot of other opportunities. Top units are ALWAYS going to attract a lot of applicants with a preference system or no preference system. The benefit is that once people get committed with a lot of points they don't want to bail out for the mid tier hunts.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-06-2014 at 01:27 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm sure it will sting to burn 6 points on a 3-4 point unit but it's hard to argue with the advice that has been given so far. Say WY gets a tough winter next year or drought or fires or whatever, you might end up with 8-9 points in a few years and still be in the same spot you are now.... Plus if you hunt there this year, you'll be able to draw it again in another few years and have some good experience in that Region.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    I'm sure it will sting to burn 6 points on a 3-4 point unit but it's hard to argue with the advice that has been given so far. Say WY gets a tough winter next year or drought or fires or whatever, you might end up with 8-9 points in a few years and still be in the same spot you are now.... Plus if you hunt there this year, you'll be able to draw it again in another few years and have some good experience in that Region.
    Very true you never know what the wrath of Mother Nature may bring. If you're ready to drop the hammer on a hunt you want, go for it n get after em!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    G took 3-4 points last year but no one knows how many points G will take this year. It could go up and you might not have as many extra points as you think.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by califhuntn View Post
    According to the MRS they don't advise burning 5+ points on a Wy deer tag. I really want to hunt Region G which is a General season tag that doesn't take 6 pts to draw. I need to burn my pts before I can hunt Reg G. I here 102 is not what it used to be but mule deer unit is nowadays. Is there another sleeper unit. You don't have to reply publicly.

I would be willing to pull my points with someone that has knowledge of a good area. I am looking to see decent bucks 160-170 with a chase at something bigger with a lot of hard work and some luck. I would prefer to bow hunt. PM me if you are interested.
    Califhuntn, so after all this info I'm curious what you're going to do?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post
    Hunting always beats sitting home on points....

06/06/09 I was washing my boat to go walleye fishing. My RCA clogged 100%, tried to drive to hospital, didn't make it. Ambulance took me to a clinic where I flat lined. A little jolt and a flight on lifestar , and I'm lucky to be here. There's no guarantee on tomorrow ....

The three things I thought about , in this order
    1 my dog Ted
    2 my wife
    3 a 21 y/o bottle of scotch I never opened

I'd hate to leave points on the table :-)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 8 Posts
    I've never had a problem with burning a couple more points than a hunt takes. Sometimes you are holding out for just the right year, season dates, herd condition and building points along the way. I really like knowing when I pull the trigger on a tag I will almost certainly draw it.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I've never had a problem with burning a couple more points than a hunt takes. Sometimes you are holding out for just the right year, season dates, herd condition and building points along the way. I really like knowing when I pull the trigger on a tag I will almost certainly draw it.

Go hunt, they're just points. Someone on here (or somewhere else) called them a big batch of koolaid and in many respects I agree. The point values do not necessarily reflect the quality of the area, just the popularity. A few general regions turn out far bigger bucks than, for example, 102 ever will.

When's the last time you saw a B&C buck out of Sweetwater county(not that score matters much)?. . .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like knowing I will draw too however by putting in for units with more points you're contributing to the point creep. I'm sitting at Max for Elk in Wyoming and just waiting till I have time to do the hunt right. Burning my max deer points this year though.