Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 3 Posts
    wow, I musta been in the hot spot... I do see some elk like hilltop's first pic but in general the elk ive seen in 40 and 41 are bigger than that. Maybe its just because im usually a good distance off the road or I am from this area and spend a lot more time there. but take what you will from it. I ment around 300" for shooter bulls but of course there are always satellites around too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I hope this dont get out or all the Bighorn units are gonna take max points next year. LOL

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddwinner View Post
    wow, I musta been in the hot spot... I do see some elk like hilltop's first pic but in general the elk ive seen in 40 and 41 are bigger than that. Maybe its just because im usually a good distance off the road or I am from this area and spend a lot more time there. but take what you will from it. I ment around 300" for shooter bulls but of course there are always satellites around too.
    Like I said, there are big bulls in every areas of the state. If you spend years learning areas and elk habits, you can key in on them. That's not realistic for most out of state hunters coming on their first hunt. I'm not telling anyone what they can or can't harvest, just trying to give a realistic picture to someone coming on a hunt. If everyone could find your bulls, they wouldn't still be alive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think what you posted is very accurate then. the more you go the better elk you find. Also, just because I see these bulls doesn't mean you can get to them. I saw many bulls in these areas that there was no way to get too, wind, wide open country, no way to sneak up on them. Also, I should mention that a majority of these elk ive seen just before archery season or during archery season. the numbers and quality go way down once the snow comes and the guns start shooting. Musket Man, I ment wy elk areas 500 and 600 not 40 and 41

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 6 Posts
    I think what you posted is very accurate then. the more you go the better elk you find. Also, just because I see these bulls doesn't mean you can get to them. I saw many bulls in these areas that there was no way to get too, wind, wide open country, no way to sneak up on them. Also, I should mention that a majority of these elk ive seen just before archery season or during archery season. the numbers and quality go way down once the snow comes and the guns start shooting. Musket Man, I ment wy elk areas 500 and 600 not 40 and 41
    That area 500 in the Cybil canyon refuge? LOL...some big ones in there. And 600 is just down the road from Old Faithful...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    you got it man! Those are "Management Bulls" if you can manage to get one, load it and not get caught, its yours!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kiddwinner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    you got it man! Those are "Management Bulls" if you can manage to get one, load it and not get caught, its yours!
    That's funny !!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne1 View Post
    Having never hunted elk before I'm curious what an average bull elk looks like from the state of Wyoming. Does anyone have pictures of a Wyoming bull elk that they have harvested that they wouldn't mind posting so I can get an idea of what I'll be hunting in 2015. I'll be hunting in Wyoming elk hunt area 40 or 41 during the rifle seaosn in 2015.

Thanks in advance
    The answer to your question can be summed up in one word "BIG". If you haven't hunted elk, then you will be amazed at their size if you are lucky enough to get one down. Don't underestimate how hard it will be to get one out if you're off the beaten track. Depending how far you are in, it could take 2-3 days to get a bull out...especially if it's a BIG mature bull. Make sure you know how to at minimum quarter them...better yet de-bone them. Did I say that elk are BIG? Yes, I think I did. Good luck on your hunts!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MWScott72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    Yea I just hate it when I all I see are those little 300 inch 6x6 dinks. What a drag.
    Thanks, I needed a good laugh after 12 hours in the office.
    Last edited by buckbull; 03-07-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is another example of a Wyoming bull. I saw bigger during the archery season, but never got a shot. Still happy with this one, he's almost 340

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kcaves For This Useful Post: