Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts

Rattle snake tips.

There has been some talk and concerns lately about hunting in areas with rattle snakes so I thought we could put together some advise and tips for guys that have not hunted areas with rattle snakes before and dont know what to expect.

What types of areas are more likely to have them? What are the best ways to avoid them? What to do if you get to close or find yourself in a bad situation? What to do if you do get bit? What should you carry with you in case you do get bit? ect.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Stay in your pick up and road hunt! Oh and don't get bit on the butt! No one will suck out the poison!
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Around here I've seen most of the rattlesnakes in the shade by boulders. Mostly where there is a high population of rabbits. I've only seen a few and not enough for me to be overly concerned with them. I've seen some snakes by springs when antelope hunting and sitting in a blind. So I would always check your blind before you climb In.

Great thread MM!
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    Areas that attract small rodents/birds for them to eat.

Best way to avoid them is to look for them.

Easiest exit strategy is to kill the threat.

All snakes in the darkness are rattleheadcoralmoccasins and should be treated as such.

Wear snake boots and don't get bit....don't reach blindly into brush to pick something up. For instance you drop a flashlight (flashlight/bject 1 put it in defense mode, hand/object 2 gets struck)

They won't always rattle. Have had a lot not rattle until they were dead.

Carry a snake bite kit, water & a sat phone if possible.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packmule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ohhh...and just bc it's cold doesn't mean they'll be slow & won't bite you. Did a myth buster with that a few yrs ago with a shovel. Wouldn't strike a cold shovel put in front of it, but put in a fire for a few seconds and it popped it...despite being a lovely frosty 33 degrees

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    At least when I go to WY next fall I won't have to worry about rattle snakes. Thank goodness they don't have any.

At least that's what I am telling myself

I used to kind of be into snakes and they really don't bother me to be honest. Sure, I don't like walking right up on one and they do give me a startle when I do, but I keep my composure when I do come across them. I think the main thing is to leave them alone when you come upon one and watch where you step while on the move. I always look down the path that I plan to take several meters ahead. I seen a staggering stat one time about venomous snake bites. I can't remember the #'s, but a very high % involved Alc intoxication.

The problem I see with hunting the west is the locality of hospitals. Where I hunt in OH and KY the furthest hospital is probably 40 minutes tops. Where I plan to hunt in WY this fall it's probably 2 hours drive time. And that's if you are at your vehicle when bitten. I will absolutely be carryng a snake kit with me.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've seen a few of those hybrid Rattleheadcoralmoccasins, the best defense is a pair of Nancy Sinatra style, mid-thigh height white leather "Go-Go" boots.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    MM should get him a pair of those.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to packmule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Ill get right on that shootbrownelk! LOL. I have been around them enough that Im not really worried about them but I dont like them either. The main time I worry about them is when Im making a stalk or on the ground belly crawling.

Say you did get bit. How bad is it? How long do you have to get to a hospital? Are you just going to get sick, die, leg fall off? Are most snake bite kits the same? How much more time will you have to get to a hospital if you have and use a snake bite kit?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Ill get right on that shootbrownelk! LOL. I have been around them enough that Im not really worried about them but I dont like them either. The main time I worry about them is when Im making a stalk or on the ground belly crawling.

Say you did get bit. How bad is it? How long do you have to get to a hospital? Are you just going to get sick, die, leg fall off? Are most snake bite kits the same? How much more time will you have to get to a hospital if you have and use a snake bite kit?
    Depends on the snake and its bite. I know adult rattlers can hold their venom in or release very little. Like a warning bite. Babies can't and that's why they are the most dangerous. When they bite, it all flows out.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to velvetfvr For This Useful Post: