Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    Anybody ever run into one when they were stalking an animal? My biggest fear would be crawling along, hear a rattle and be face to face with one.......
    I have been in this position. Not fun, I was nose to nose - maybe 16" from it. I was thinking he must see the reflection of himself in my glasses. We came to an agreement, he behaved himself and I left him be as promised. All bets are off for next time though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to canvsbk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 3 Posts
    Anybody ever run into one when they were stalking an animal? My biggest fear would be crawling along, hear a rattle and be face to face with one.......
    I've had a lot of encounters....the most memorable was crawling through a briar thicket on what seemed to be a rabbit trail following a blood trail and finding one a few feet in front of my face. Then there was one in the seat of my climber when I got to it one afternoon. One on the rack of my 4wheeler when I got back to it one night (almost grabbed that one before something told me the blob on top of my bungi cords didn't look right). In my deer stand. Pretty common to find them in our feed barn. Had one fall in a boat with me pitching willows, had them in deer stands, inside 4wheelers, inside truck. Had other species get into snake boots I've left outside to dry out (ohh, the irony) and in the water troughs inside our steer pens. Dove season is terrible bc they're crawling like crazy getting ready to hibernate and you can't exactly dictate what kind of brush the doves will fall in.

This one got swatted with a mojo dove stake

4. The Following User Says Thank You to packmule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    When I was living in South Dakota I talked to a bunch of guys that fished on the Missouri river about rattle snakes swimming up in their boat. Apparently they decide they need to swim across the river (usually around a mile wide at its narrow spots), and get tired along the way. They find a boat, climb up the motor and in the boat for a rest... needless to say, the boaters are usually less than impressed. Some traded places with the snake (in the water), some found out that fishing rods only make them mad when hit or moved with them, and some destroyed their boat with an oar killing the snake. Seems like an all around lose lose lose in my opinion... I really don't like snakes...
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    This is my biggest concern too. I tend to forget about everything but not blowing the stock and the cover you are using while belly crawling could have snakes in it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    I'm sure I could destroy a boat in a mater of a few seconds lol!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 3 Posts
    I have found the gold measuring sticks to be valuable snake whackers. Then they have the 90degree bend on them to shovel up the snake to flip them back in the water. I'm not jumping in the water. Fight a snake for a while vs get eaten by a gator? Easy decision!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcour View Post
    When I was living in South Dakota I talked to a bunch of guys that fished on the Missouri river about rattle snakes swimming up in their boat. Apparently they decide they need to swim across the river (usually around a mile wide at its narrow spots), and get tired along the way. They find a boat, climb up the motor and in the boat for a rest... needless to say, the boaters are usually less than impressed. Some traded places with the snake (in the water), some found out that fishing rods only make them mad when hit or moved with them, and some destroyed their boat with an oar killing the snake. Seems like an all around lose lose lose in my opinion... I really don't like snakes...
    Made me smile picturing this event.... I'm sure they didn't find any humor in it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    You southern fellas have some interesting critters down there. Until I moved out here all I had to worry about were Rutting/Calving Moose, drowning, lightning, and bears. Now it's all the above plus snakes! Thankful there are not gators in Wyoming. As for my run ins with buzzworms there have been a lot. All while guiding flyfishermen in the summer and all around water. When it gets hot the snakes like the cooler temps by the river. My first year I stepped on a sleepy and very good natured one, he did not buzz or strike just squirmed like crazy to get away which I let him do. However, each one after that gets a big river rock dropped on them with extreme prejudice. As for my snake bite kit? A sharpie and a watch. Luckily I've never had to use it. However, a doc out here told me to write the time of the bite next to the wound and a line marking expansion of swelling and time every ten minutes after that. Outside of that he instructed me to get the person to the hospital asap! On that note I knew a pair of ranching brothers that claim to get bitten quite often while haying and they don't even go to the doctor. Don't recommend that though. Hope I never get nailed but the guiding thing makes me nervous.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Grizz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Five good ways to deal with snakes: "Bang", "Bang", "Bang", "Bang", "Bang"! (J-Frame) Not recommended if in a boat. Although, I have heard of that happening!
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sawfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0254 (2).JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	8671

I was hunting this year around New Castle WY. for antelope and came across this. I thought snow on the ground was sure sign you did not have to worry about rattlesnakes, boy was is wrong !

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CrossCreeks For This Useful Post: