Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father&son_outdoorsman View Post
    In our area they group and stay in the shade of rocks in the afternoon and bask in the morning when the sun first comes up. Just learn where they are and watch where you step.
    I don't mind watching where I step, it is those dad gum tree climbing snakes that I hate. Always looking up, down, and to the side wading through the swamp!. Can't outwit them when using a boat either. You can be peacefully paddling along fishing through the trees, when you hear that gut wrenching "plop" of a well fed cottonmouth falling into your boat. If you are lucky, you can chase him out with a paddle. If not, he takes residence under one of the seats, between you and the outboard! I had a friend who owned one of the huge UMCO tackle boxes with the fold out trays. I kept telling him to close it, but he liked "seeing my baits". Dad gum cottonmouth fell right into the box, and hooked himself on two of the big old creek chub top water baits. That was one mad snake. We finally had to close him up in the box, so we could get to the landing!
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I grew up in the oil and gas fields near Bakersfield. My Grandfather always carried a shovel in the trunk of his work car and we decapitated every rattlesnake we came across. There was never a shortage. My Dad and a Brother live in the Sierra Foothills. They kill 5-6 snakes each year in their yards (this is the time they become very active, just out of hibernation). They have never had a shortage either. I have crossed paths while Deer hunting and fishing a great stretch of the South Fork of the Merced River where I have killed 6 in one day. Although there are great trout there many people do not fish that area due to the rattlers. On one trip we tried to ease around a Rattler and gave it plenty of room. It came after us! I don't know if it had never seen a human before but it was not intimidated by fishing poles. Thank goodness there were plenty of rocks. My most recent encounter was Turkey hunting last year. It was rattling between me and where I needed to go to work a Gobbler. Needless to say I found another route. There is a lot of good information regarding what to due if bitten. Snake bite kits are not always the answer.
    http://www.outdoored.com/community/r...the-field.aspx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefgobbler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ah this is a situation i run into every single year on my early season deer hunt in southern utah. We 100% of the time run into those pesky Rattleheadcoralmoccasins and they are terrifying to say the least. especially when you're not expecting them, and cobbhhunts i hate to inform you but the great state of Wyoming does have rattle snakes. We've run into them on occasion up there. in my mind, if it slithers, it dies. i dont want to take the chance. I carry an arrow with a small game tip on it, and dispose of the threat as quickly as i can draw that arrow back and let it fly. I usually see them around rocky areas, and around water where a lot of rodents and what not may be around trying to get water. Best advice i can give is stay calm. i know i know, easier said then done. but if on the off chance you do get bit, you want to keep your heart rate as low as you can. Unfortunately all those snake bite kits and suction devices don't do any good. as soon as the venom enters the body, and the heart pumps, that venom is already gone form the site of he bite and those kits don't do anything. make sure you have water to stay hydrated and get to a hospital as soon as you can. I also wear snake gators. they may be a bit hot in the S. Utah heat but its well worth not getting bit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts

Musket, there was a big rattler in that bush after I almost ran him over driving. And I didn't kill him either. He wants to know where you live so he can come visit you?
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    HAHA! He doesnt want me to know where he lives! LOL
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"