Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .270 for elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Run a well constructed bullet through it and you'll be fine. I have some 150 grain Nosler Partitions for my 270wsm loaded up for elk, if I ever get drawn.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That T3 Lite in a 270 with a Barnes x, accubond, interbond, partition, or similar would be awesome for elk.

I've got two Kimber Montana's, one 260 Rem the other 270 WSM and honestly I'd take either on an elk hunt. The only difference would be longest comfortable shot distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RockChucker30 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    that .270 will shoot flatter for ya to with way less recoil. but if ur commfy with the .300 dont change it up. once you do use that .270 though.... you wont ever hunt with another cal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    I'd suggest trying to find some interbonds or accubonds instead of SST's. Just a thought
    Woodtick, I used SST's on antelope and last year on elk. The SST's seem to be an early Nosler BT design. Hit them where you should, behind the shoulder through the ribs, and they're some real killers. Be off a bit, and hit a shoulder and they are horribly destructive. Lord help you if you hit a hindquarter. From my experience with them, they seem to be too explosive. Hence the comparison to the early Ballstic tips. I pretty much use solid copper bullets in calibers .308 & under. Just my take on it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    The most important thing is shot placement, done properly I've seen elk go down with one shot with a .243.
    Good advice Cowboy..practice makes perfect.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    With all the good input I've got on here so far, I've decided to try out the .270 on my hunt. May need to take a look at some different bullets for the thicker skinned elk, but it sounds like a lot of folks have good success with a .270 on elk. Just got the gun and I'm looking forward to getting it out to the range and getting some trigger time on it soon.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm going to drift a little from the pack.
    Everything said IRT a .270 is right and I am a huge fan, I use a .270 a lot.
    I use a .300WSM on elk because I own one. I pick it over .270. .30-06, and .308 which I also own (all would do fine with good ammo and effective range)
    What is bugging me a little is, you said that you have taken elk with a .300 that you own.
    Hypothetically you hit Mr. Bull in the kill zone with a .270 or a .300, both will kill him.
    I would argue that with equally well placed shots, a .300 round provides a better chance that he will go down sooner (better knockdown, wider tissue damage). I am no ballistics guru but while a .270 shoots very flat, by the time that flatness matters, (say 275-300yrds) you lose a lot of energy compared to the .300.
    Please tell me if I'm off base folks, I'd really like to know?
    Thanks
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That all depends on what gets hit and bullet construction. A 270 bullet that doesn't exit will likely "dump" more energy than a clean pass through of a 300 bc that bullet is still burning energy after exit. Then you get into hydrostatic shock and see that a lot of the smaller faster bullets will create more damage than bigger, slower bullets (think 308 vs 257wby).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There are plenty of elk that have been killed by a 270 Win but there are also plenty of better cartridges to choose from.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    I'm going to drift a little from the pack.
    Everything said IRT a .270 is right and I am a huge fan, I use a .270 a lot.
    I use a .300WSM on elk because I own one. I pick it over .270. .30-06, and .308 which I also own (all would do fine with good ammo and effective range)
    What is bugging me a little is, you said that you have taken elk with a .300 that you own.
    Hypothetically you hit Mr. Bull in the kill zone with a .270 or a .300, both will kill him.
    I would argue that with equally well placed shots, a .300 round provides a better chance that he will go down sooner (better knockdown, wider tissue damage). I am no ballistics guru but while a .270 shoots very flat, by the time that flatness matters, (say 275-300yrds) you lose a lot of energy compared to the .300.
    Please tell me if I'm off base folks, I'd really like to know?
    Thanks
    I think will all cartridges there are trade offs. You are correct, IMO, with you assessment. I think the benefit of a lighter rifle to carry has it's own benefits but killing power has a gob of variables that I don't understand. I can simply speak from my experiences of myself and my hunters when I was guiding and outfitting for elk. A person should simply use the best rifle that they are comfortable shooting. Inside of 400 yards, I have noticed very little, if any, difference in an elk's reaction when being shot with a .270 through a 30-378. I have either shot or witnessed first hand 36 different elk kills with very similar results. Most of these elk were taken with .270, 30-06 or one of the 300s. The only bad stories were from poor bullet selection or poor shots. With todays bullet technology, I really don't think it matters what caliber you shoot as long as you can shoot it well.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post: