Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .270 for elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I think a bigger gun gives more room for error and will be more forgiving on a poorly placed shot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I think a bigger gun gives more room for error and will be more forgiving on a poorly placed shot.
    I have to agree with Musket Man on this. A 270 Win is perfectly adequate for elk, under the right circumstances, and every year thousands of elk are killed with the .270, and lesser calibers. Unfortunately, every year I come across carcasses from elk that have died from their wounds, and were not recovered. When conditions are right, game is undisturbed, and you have the time to make a perfect shot, pretty much any cartridge, within reason, will do the job. In these days of shorter seasons, increased hunting pressure, and less abundant game populations, things are very seldom perfect. Consequently, I like having a little insurance in the form of a heavier caliber. You may only get one chance in a season, so you need to make it count. In some states (Colorado comes to mind), you had better put your elk on the ground right now, or you may find another hunter attempting to tag your animal. Another factor is the increased use of monolithic bullets that require sufficiently higher impact velocities for expansion, than the traditional cup and core bullets. I am not a long range shooter, so that is not why I advocate using a heavier caliber. I prefer the dark timber, and have never shot an elk further than fifty yards. In truth, a .270 would probably have killed most of them, but I have no love for tracking animals in downed timber. I prefer they fall where they are shot. Just MHO.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree with UH- make the first shot your best shot and keep pumpin rounds until it's chewin' dirt. The T3 is a great rifle. You'd be glad you took it over the heavier 300wby

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d.kerri View Post
    I agree with UH- make the first shot your best shot and keep pumpin rounds until it's chewin' dirt. The T3 is a great rifle. You'd be glad you took it over the heavier 300wby
    First shot kill with the T3 means he won't be spending $3 every time one of those .300 wby rounds goes down range
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree don't bail now!! The 270 loaded with a good bullet will work just fine!! A 130 gr. Partition or Accubond would work perfectly. Either of those in 140 or 150 gr. loadings would work fine also. Use which one your rifle shoots the best and go hunt!!
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 6mm Remington For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think youll be fine with a 270 and sst's. My buddies daughter shot a nice 6x6 bull at 250 yards with a 270 and 150gr Nosler ballistic tips (approx 2850 fps) I loaded for him. The bull was hit behind the shoulder, at the shot the bull humped up, took one step back and fell over dead. That load was super accurate in his Browning rifle, so he did not want to change anything.....even after I told him I could load better made bullets for him. SST's are a wicked bullet.

I personally would use the 300 Weatherby only because I would feel better hitting an elk with the biggest and fastest bullet I have. I use a 300 RUM for elk hunting loaded with 200gr accubonds going 3200 fps. But I think the recoil has jarred my brain loose cause I'm starting to forget things more and more each day....Oh hey what was I talking about. lol
    Last edited by bigshot; 03-14-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not an animal in north America that a well placed shot from the old 270 wont topple

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Go with the Hornady Interbond, rather than their SST with your .270 and you'll be fine!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Get a box of Remington Core-Lokts and go kill an elk!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Been waiting all nite for that reply! Cant go wrong with the green n yeller

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swampokie For This Useful Post: