Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: .270 for elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
    I think youll be fine with a 270 and sst's. My buddies daughter shot a nice 6x6 bull at 250 yards with a 270 and 150gr Nosler ballistic tips (approx 2850 fps) I loaded for him. The bull was hit behind the shoulder, at the shot the bull humped up, took one step back and fell over dead. That load was super accurate in his Browning rifle, so he did not want to change anything.....even after I told him I could load better made bullets for him. SST's are a wicked bullet.

I personally would use the 300 Weatherby only because I would feel better hitting an elk with the biggest and fastest bullet I have. I use a 300 RUM for elk hunting loaded with 200gr accubonds going 3200 fps. But I think the recoil has jarred my brain loose cause I'm starting to forget things more and more each day....Oh hey what was I talking about. lol
    Big shot,i have no intention of picking a fight here so take my words with a grain of salt. I live very close to the Hornady factory and have a bit of first hand knowledge from them. If you ask ANY employee there, they will tell you the SST is not designed for elk sized game. While it is possible it will kill an elk with those bullets, there are much better bullets out there designed for elk. I have witnessed badly wounded elk from poor bullet selection in the past and I never want to see it again. Please give the factory a call so you can learn from them if you don't trust me. We owe these animals the utmost respect and proper bullet selection is part of that respect. Hornady designes several bullets that will work great for elk including the interbond and the GMX. Either of these are better choices. They aren't overly expensive and they are readily available so there isn't any reason I can think to not switch to a bullet designed for the game you are pusuing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I find the very idea that 270 Win. is inadequate for elk to be laughable.

There are other calibers that offer more range, less drift, etc., but used within its limits (decent bullet, moderate range), it will put the biggest bulls down every time.

My uncle has killed I don't know how many elk (maybe 30+?) with the 270 and 130 grain corelokt, and I don't know if he has ever taken a second shot. He killed two this year with his 270.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I find the very idea that 270 Win. is inadequate for elk to be laughable..
    Yep, what he said.
    David
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I find the very idea that 270 Win. is inadequate for elk to be laughable.

There are other calibers that offer more range, less drift, etc., but used within its limits (decent bullet, moderate range), it will put the biggest bulls down every time.

My uncle has killed I don't know how many elk (maybe 30+?) with the 270 and 130 grain corelokt, and I don't know if he has ever taken a second shot. He killed two this year with his 270.
    BB, those .270's have killed a pile of elk over the years, heck; I know an old timer who used to bag an elk every year with a Winchester 1894 in .32 special. Experience, Practice and Picking your shot...works everytime. The .270 is a tried and true elk killer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Big shot,i have no intention of picking a fight here so take my words with a grain of salt. I live very close to the Hornady factory and have a bit of first hand knowledge from them. If you ask ANY employee there, they will tell you the SST is not designed for elk sized game. While it is possible it will kill an elk with those bullets, there are much better bullets out there designed for elk. I have witnessed badly wounded elk from poor bullet selection in the past and I never want to see it again. Please give the factory a call so you can learn from them if you don't trust me. We owe these animals the utmost respect and proper bullet selection is part of that respect. Hornady designes several bullets that will work great for elk including the interbond and the GMX. Either of these are better choices. They aren't overly expensive and they are readily available so there isn't any reason I can think to not switch to a bullet designed for the game you are pusuing.
    Excellent post and exactly why I said to change to their Interbond for elk size animals. The newer GMX they now have on the market that you mentioned would also be a good choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Topgun I figured you would have no use for a 270 at least going by your forum handle. Its usually 30-06 or 270. Kinda like mayo or mustard or ford or chevy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Fill your 270 up with these and go kill an elk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My m-77 is stuffed with 130gr corelokt rite now

11. The Following User Says Thank You to swampokie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    Topgun I figured you would have no use for a 270 at least going by your forum handle. Its usually 30-06 or 270. Kinda like mayo or mustard or ford or chevy
    If the .270 was good enough for Jack O'Connor, then it's good enough for anybody

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    corelokt is cheap and works so damn well. and those 130g in that .270 is soooo deadly and the 130g shoots so much flatter out of just about any .270 you will shoot. i allways use my .270 but used a .338 a few years ago on an elk and even though it killed it, i still whent back to the.... drum roll please..... pre 64 .270. shoots flat, fast and kills. and swampokie..... chevy all the way

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post: