Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 51 Times in 4 Posts

Any Good Leftover Bow Tags.... Usually?

Hey all.... a buddy and myself were unsuccessful in the general draw. We will buy a point in the fall and try again next year. But for this year I called out to Wyoming fish and game and asked about any leftover tags possibly being available for us to try to get. The person said it will be posted ( if I remember right) the first of July and go on sale first come first serve around the 10th or 15th of that month (?). The man also said the Fish and Game webb site does not have prior years listed of left over tags , for me to research past trends. My question .... are there ever any tags (generally speaking) that are left over every year in some decent areas with lots of public access? Bull tags anywhere or even cow tags? We are bowhunters and that's what we would be hunting with. Any comments? Thanks!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 82 Times in 9 Posts
    You can figure out what tags were "leftover" by looking at draw odds reports. If an area has more tags than applicants listed, then there were tags left over. I am guessing you main options for elk in Wyoming will be reduced price cow tags, and lots of them in some areas. Many of them never sell out. A good portion of them are late season tags that will focus on winter range areas. Your best bet at hunting a bull this year is to do over the counter in Colorado. You will fight the crowds but elk can and will be harvested on these hunts. If I were in your shoes, I would try to get a cow tag for the area you want to hunt next year for a bull. You can treat it like a scouting trip with the benefit of still getting to hunt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NebrCatMan View Post
    Hey all.... a buddy and myself were unsuccessful in the general draw. We will buy a point in the fall and try again next year. But for this year I called out to Wyoming fish and game and asked about any leftover tags possibly being available for us to try to get. The person said it will be posted ( if I remember right) the first of July and go on sale first come first serve around the 10th or 15th of that month (?). The man also said the Fish and Game webb site does not have prior years listed of left over tags , for me to research past trends. My question .... are there ever any tags (generally speaking) that are left over every year in some decent areas with lots of public access? Bull tags anywhere or even cow tags? We are bowhunters and that's what we would be hunting with. Any comments? Thanks!!!!!
    Better not wait until Fall to buy your PP because the application period for them is 7/1-9/30!!! Do your homework on the G&F website like the previous post stated and then look at the units you pick to see if there are tags available for them on the leftover list when it's posted. Then be on your account and ready at 8AM Mountain time the day the tags go on sale in July (date is right on the G&F website) to buy them when the G&F activates the choice area.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 03-06-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you are looking to strictly bowhunt, there will be several Type 9 tags available as leftovers. You will need to be ready at the computer when they go on sale. Many go quick!

You have any problems hunting around grizz?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midwest_bow View Post
    If you are looking to strictly bowhunt, there will be several Type 9 tags available as leftovers. You will need to be ready at the computer when they go on sale. Many go quick!

You have any problems hunting around grizz?
    ***They can bowhunt on any leftover tag they buy during the early seasons with a $35 archery permit or during the later rifle season itself without an archery permit. A type 9 tag does not require the purchase of the $35 archery permit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey, thanks a lot for the comeback guys....... A couple buddies and myself did hunt in 81 a few years back. We made a base camp by our vehicles and backpacked in a vehicle restricted area 3 or 4 miles. The first night we had a bear by our camp checking us out. My two buddies were in their bivouac tent and were hollering for me If I had my bear spray in my tent as theirs was in their packs leaning against a tree outside their tent. They had just a small L.E.D. with them and could barely see the bears eyes as they peeked from the tent. I yelled back at them that I had my pepper spray and my 44 Redhawk with me. By the time I got up and out of my tent the bear was heading away. We hunted the next day and got back to camp early. We made a doughnut style ring of dead pine branches around our tents thinking hopefully that the branches snapping and cracking would wake us up if a bear wanted to get to us. Sure enough the bear was back around 2:30 am and he was just outside our "alarm guard". We had better lights and could clearly see he was a grizzly bear. He was chomping his chops and huffing at us. We yelled and blew whistles and he left. The next day we broke camp and moved into another basin. Rangers said that was smart thing to do as they had a problem bear in that area. Think we did it right.... bear spay with us, food hanging 100 yards downwind away from us, no food or candy in sleeping tents. But is was kinda scary. Walking in the dark before sun-up we had what we think was a bear working parallel to our line of travel thru the dark timber. For a couple of flatlanders from Nebraska it was kinda scary.......... but exciting too. When we got an elk down two guys field dressed and cut and packed meat as one of us stood guard. We packed out in a with a gap between us, not all in a tight bunch. Everything worked out ok. Thanks again for the leftover permit info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    NebrCatMan, I've been considering hunting elk in Unit #81 this fall and wondering where you guys had the problem with the Grizz. Give me a PM sometime.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I remember right it was on the west side of Grouse Mountain. There is a road that come off the high way that goes NW out of Dubois..... over the pass and then we went south. Camped by the main road where there is an outfitters corral......... a road goes South East from there over a locked bridge over the stream. We hiked SE of that point for a few miles and set up at the base ( west.. southwest) of Grouse mountain. This was 4 years ago. A group from either Texas or Michigan hunted that same area and saw 2 fairly big grizz cubs but never saw the mamma. They didn't stick around to look for her either. We did see wolf tracks after a snow. I heard them howl during the nite from our base camp wall tent. Man... them tracks were huge..... howling sent tingles down my spine. Anybody ever have a super close call up in NW Wyoming......... bears or wolves???

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the reply NebrCatMan, I was think of hunting west og Grouse, around tripod Peak. On the way home from elk hunting last fall we had two 1 1/2 year old grizz cubs by the hwy very close to the forest service road turnoff. y have to rethink my hunt plans or at least find a hunting partner.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Neb, did you get my PM?