Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That is frickin awesome 25, great pic!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NVBird'n'Big For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    No kidding! Wow things have changed. New gear these days makes hunting much more efficient. I sure do like the old pics, thanks for posting.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great thread and gear recommendations. Me and some buddies packed in to the Superstition Wilderness in AZ this past Dec during Coues rut. Only hiked in 3.5 miles and were in deer every day so no need to pack and move everyday. Whether you choose to pack daily or set up a main camp will obviously depend on two things: location of game and water.

Notice on some of the posts with list of gear they didn't include water. Depending on number of days you're packing in, the heaviest thing in your pack will be food and water. I debated my water bladder size back and forth and decided to stick w/a 5-6 liter one. Depending on confidence of finding water sooner than later, you don't have to fill it all the way on the way in and can max it out while in the country... In CO, I've been told that water is relatively easy to find and accessible. Not always the case in AZ.

For gear, me and one buddy used a Tenzing TZ6000 pack. Our other buddy had a Black Creek pack that was about 4700 cu in. He's now looking at getting the TZ5000 or 6000. Great pack with plenty of room that packs your gear very well. My tent was a Moutain ALPS 1.5 which was great for being able to store gear. However, just recently purchased a Backside T7 one person tent that is 8-9oz lighter than the ALPS. My sleeping bag did not do the job even w/me wearing silk underwear w/a light fleece blanket, on a 3r insulated air pad. Been looking at the Klymit pads for a replacement and considering alternative bags. I recently purchased a silk type sleeping bag liner to also use for increased insulation.

Food we used the dehydrated meals from Mountain House. They were great. For planning purposes, we went with food that offered ratio of 100 calories per oz of weight. Also made "Moose Goo". You can find recipe online. I added ground up honey oats granola and Nutella to the recipe for my personal desire. Instead of wrapping it in tortilla, I made small quesadias and cut them in quarters.
    On the Mountain House meals, I'd recommend something that you think would taste good cold in the AM for a quick breakfast. The pasta meals are normally best for this IMO. Depending how much you exert yourself, some of the meals will go a long way and you can eat half in the PM and the rest in the AM.

The Katadyn Pro water filtration system is great and worked as advertised.

Some things I had from past bad experience was powder. I used the Dead Down Wind powder and it was awesome. Not only did it prevent chaffing, it worked great in my boots and on clothing (underwear and socks) when airing them out and being able to wear longer in the field before changes).

One thing we didn't have but added to our list was a light weight pair of flip flops or some kind of shoe to wear around camp while eating, resting and letting boots air out. Alternative was walking around in socks.

For those that don't like drinking only water, pack Mios or your favorite drink mix. Would also include the type that facilitates hydration. My buddy had some of these and they worked like a champ when I felt I was going to drop.

I also brought and used caffeine acetamenaphin (sp?) and would take it in the AM as a preemptive strike...

Packs averaged about 55-63#s. Goal on our CO Elk hunt this year is 55 or less.

My GPS is a Garmin Colorado Topo but I ended up using the Garmin Forerunner on my wrist with topo maps weather proofed. What was good about this GPS is it, along with my headlamp, and our radios all took AAA batteries. Commonality in batteries kept it simple instead of having to pack multiple types...

Good luck and happy hunting.
    Heli M Lost / Heli M Tactical
    Spot Hogg-It 7 Pin / Spot Hogg Hunter 3 or 5 pin
    B-Stinger Hunter Extreme Lost / Black
    QAD XD Lost / Black
    Carbon Express Aramid KV 350 / Blue Streak Select 350

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ArmyArcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have an Alps Mountaineering Vertex 2 tent with footprint, Northface -7c bag, Klymit V sleeping, pad, Primus Ti stove, 8x10 Siltarp from MEC, Katadyn Hiker pro filtration pump, Tikka T3 Featherlite s/s in 270win, Mountain House, and always a telescopic spincaster and small fishing kit for those highcountry cutthroat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    And a few more.

I try to set up my camps so I can do some glassing from close by.
    Do you post any of your hunting videos on youtube?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 6 Posts
    I haven't ever posted any of my western hunts as I really haven't been through a bunch of the footage.Its tough Filming when you are solo most of the footage is just of me talking about the day and trying to set up a strategy for the next day. Now I do have some Whitetail hunting, turkey hunting footage from back east and some fishing stuff online. I really need to post up some of my western footage. When I have time I will try and put some together. Mark
    Here are a few clips of a bunch of footage I have. Some Fishing, Turkey and Whitetail videos.
    Deer hunting.
    http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/Ut1tqIds/1/5034271

Fishing out of Oregon Inlet NC on my boat.
    http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/9jJWuen6/1/5035891

A little turkey hunting.
    http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/ZThl0jNJ/1/5557313

Quote Originally Posted by mattdeere View Post
    Do you post any of your hunting videos on youtube?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know this is winding down, but I thought I would throw my camp in the pile.

BA Copper Spur 2
    Marmot 0deg down bag(old north face for 30+, MH Wraith bag for colder than $#%^)
    BA insulated air core pad
    cocoon air pillow
    snow peak gig power stove with the wind shield
    snow peak 28oz cup
    snow peak TI spork

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tent - Terra Nova/Wild Country Duolite

Sleeping Bag - Snugpak Special Forces system (a light and medium bag that zip together to make a heavy bag)

Sleeping pad - Exped Synmat 9

Stove - Omnilite Ti multi-fuel

Snow Peak titanium cup

REI Aluminum spork
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bought a used tarp tipi and can't wait to try it, because my back is pretty bad. Last year my back was acting up during the rain, and the tent became claustrophobic to me, since I couldn't stand up to stretch in it. I imagine the tipi will feel different that way. I bought a woodstove too, a DIY job, so we'll see.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 3 Posts
    My bc camp is eberlestock blue widow pack, jetboil stove, outdoor research advanced bivy, tarp is an old tent fly, kelty 30* bag, swaro 15x56 binos, Nikon 20x60x80 spotter, rocketfish carbon tripod, elite energy 35, gt xt 300 with whatever shoots best on the front of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Rockies are the marrow of the world.