Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to wyoming

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to wyoming

I'm moving to wyoming next month for a new job and was looking for any and all helpful info on getting started hunting in wyoming. Thanks for y'all's help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll be out of the casper area

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    That is not a very nice first post…ha ha. I would love to live in Wyoming

The first thing I would check, and I mean check this Monday, is if you can apply for hunts as a resident. The deadline for residents to apply is June 3. In most states you have to have been a resident for 6 months before applying as a resident. I'm not sure about Wyoming.

The urgency to check on this is that the non-resident applications for deer and antelope are due on March 15. If you are not eligible to apply as a resident, and want to have the chance to hunt one of the better deer or antelope areas, you may need to get your application in this week.

As a resident you will be able to hunt general deer and general elk seasons.

Antelope is done through a drawing. You will need to be drawn to hunt the better units. Some of the lesser units will have leftover tags available on a first come first served basis. Leftover antelope tags tend to be in areas with poor public access. Your draw odds for antelope are far better as a resident, and lower tag fees, so again check if you are eligible to apply this year.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-08-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In Wyoming you need to be a resident for a year before you can apply. Deadline for residents is May 31 so make sure you establish residency before then. I moved here 4 years ago and I found out it's really hard to get into the hunting community. Seems like here anyway you mention that you're a hunter and people shy away because everyone has their secret spots. Maybe it's just Gillette, but like I said, I've been here 4 years and I found out everything I know on my own, and I hunt on my own. There are some good places to hunt near Casper. The best antelope and deer areas I've found so far are near Casper.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to robsev For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Stop by the new member thread and introduce yourself.
    There is also a thread on how you picked your handle.

Also later in the year you should consider purchasing a preference point if they will let you.
    You will be way behind the curve for premium tags but there a lot of good opportunities that you can get in on after acquiring a couple of points. Like UH said you get to hunt general season tags which can be better than some of the limited quota.

Based on the above: I guess one option might be to go nonres this year and look at a leftover or reduced tag in July.

The folks on here are extremely knowledgeable and very helpful.
    Last edited by OregonJim; 03-08-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OregonJim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The OP will have to apply as a nonresident this year, as well as next year until he has actaully been a Wyoming resident residing in the state for a full year. Then he can apply as a resident for the 2016 draws, but until then he's going to be paying the big bucks for tags like all the rest of us NRs. They also watch stuff like that very closely, are tied into other state network, and have busted a number of people trying to buy tags in more than one state claiming to be a resident.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwhi790 View Post
    I'm moving to wyoming next month for a new job and was looking for any and all helpful info on getting started hunting in wyoming. Thanks for y'all's help.
    Welcome- Best advice is as follows;
    1- Change you driver's license now so you can apply as a resident in 2015.
    2- Use every free minute available enjoying the state...
    3- Occasionally stop in small town bars and buy locals a drink- you will have all the advice you need.
    4- Hunt this fall on left over doe/fawn and cow tags. Buy the non-resident ones as it's NOT worth the risk of losing your hunting privileges for three to 5 years to save a few bucks. They are still fairly cheap even for the non-residents.
    5- In a few years when your an expert out there, help all your friends on Eastman's with their hunts out there...lol

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys for all the advice, all of the posts are very helpful! How do you go about choosing a region to hunt? Just pick one randomly that's close to home? Is it worth trying to hire an outfitter or are you just about as good off saving the money and trying it on your own? Thanks again for all the input.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Welcome- Best advice is as follows;
    1- Change you driver's license now so you can apply as a resident in 2015.
    2- Use every free minute available enjoying the state...
    3- Occasionally stop in small town bars and buy locals a drink- you will have all the advice you need.
    4- Hunt this fall on left over doe/fawn and cow tags. Buy the non-resident ones as it's NOT worth the risk of losing your hunting privileges for three to 5 years to save a few bucks. They are still fairly cheap even for the non-residents.
    5- In a few years when your an expert out there, help all your friends on Eastman's with their hunts out there...lol
    Pretty hard for him to follow the law to get a Wyoming drivers license if he doesn't have a permanent residence there yet for said license!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow, what an awesome place to be moving to! Enjoy every minute of it! I've hunted Antelope 53 and 98 as well as Reg. W for deer, not sure if any of that will help or not. Feel free to ask and good luck. Have a blast!