Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan The Man

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I resonate a little with IKIC. As far as the product [story and photos] go, it's unquestionably worthy. Does giving the spot to someone affiliated with EHJ [in any way- part time, full time, whatever] discourage others from submitting stories? That's what Eastmans will have to weight. I doubt it discourages anyone.

A side note- the photo of Dan looking perpendicular to the camera with his hand on his forehead might be the best trophy photo I've ever seen. It captures his emotions in a way i have never seen captured before. What a fantastic deer.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d.kerri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    My first reaction was kinda mixed feelings but after kicking it around a while I kinda changed my mind. Its a great story with great pics and he got it done DIY on public land in an area he hadnt hunted before and I think it is very deserving of the cover!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My nod goes to Dan as well for a great trophy well-earned. He sounds like a good Montana guy who'll make a good fit with Eastmans. Also, I'm sure he's a person who will put those binos to use. Great job, Dan!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeartElk1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    My first reaction was kinda mixed feelings but after kicking it around a while I kinda changed my mind. Its a great story with great pics and he got it done DIY on public land in an area he hadnt hunted before and I think it is very deserving of the cover!
    I second this. It was mixed feelings at first but it was a heck of a story and it was well deserving of the cover.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to marcusvdk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys. I just wanted to get a consensus on peoples initial feelings. I concur with everyone on the fact that the hunt, photos, and every part about it was just a job well done by Dan. There is nothing easy about taking any animal DIY with a bow let alone a smart toad like that.
    -Introduce someone to the outdoors this year-

Genesis 27:3 (NLT) "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows, and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Just DIY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No matter what the reason was, I am sure it was a tough call in the office....or maybe it wasnt. Some companies really hold themselves at arms length to protect their advertisers, Eastmans doesnt make any sense on their stace. The story was nice, photos clear. Gear giveaway from a sponsor to staff??? Call it like you may Scott.....but its in ink right there in the story as saying he is...so readers cant really differinciate that very well.

Well, it makes as much sence as page 66 of my newest EBJ 82....and that rule about us haveing a link to our own blog that may have adds from their sponsors competitors products.

I honestly would have thought staff could write, have a story, section, column, what ever, but to also be in the running for gear? Then the real question isnt are they allowed, but, who chooses the story??

Would be ok if the company providing the item selected the winner every publication.....but thats probably not the case.

I think guys here are being polite.... But the real oppinion comes out being the question was even addressed in the first place.
    I hunt because......

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wolftalonID For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i like turtles

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    No matter what the reason was, I am sure it was a tough call in the office....or maybe it wasnt. Some companies really hold themselves at arms length to protect their advertisers, Eastmans doesnt make any sense on their stace. The story was nice, photos clear. Gear giveaway from a sponsor to staff??? Call it like you may Scott.....but its in ink right there in the story as saying he is...so readers cant really differinciate that very well.

Well, it makes as much sence as page 66 of my newest EBJ 82....and that rule about us haveing a link to our own blog that may have adds from their sponsors competitors products.

I honestly would have thought staff could write, have a story, section, column, what ever, but to also be in the running for gear? Then the real question isnt are they allowed, but, who chooses the story??

Would be ok if the company providing the item selected the winner every publication.....but thats probably not the case.

I think guys here are being polite.... But the real oppinion comes out being the question was even addressed in the first place.
    I agree 100% Any contest that is run on the radio excludes employees, family of employees, sponsors,etc. I think that is pretty much common practice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Never in Doubt View Post
    I know where I work the employees are not allowed to enter drawings and giveaways. Those are specifically for customers and potential customers. It is a pretty standard practice among businesses.
    Well, if it's just about the stories & pictures...I wonder what Mike & Guy will win?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    I'm the same way (torn that is)and I have really been thinking about this.
    I can certainly see where some folks might question it.

Then I went back and read the article.
    It would have been a shame if that article had not been published because he was a part time employee.
    If this were a game of chance, a raffle or something else where there was not competition, and editorial review, then I would say a part time employee should be taken out of the mix.
    In this case a really great article and pics were published and the magazine was better for it.

I just don't see it as a problem.
    Now thats just me; for those who do, I certainly respect that as well.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OregonJim For This Useful Post: