Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Unit 45 Wyoming elk

Hey guys, as you can see, Im new to this forum. I just drew unit 45 elk in WY and am very excited. I am from Utah and love hunting in Wyoming. Ive gone there 3 times for lopes and love it and am addicted to Lope hunting.
    So now that I have drawn this tag, I am looking for some help and pointers. I have been in contact with 1 hunter, David, from this forum right off the bat. He has given me some great help and pointer. I would love to hear from others also.

I am looking for pics of bulls and area/terrain of this area. I think I might start off by Tensleep and Deer Haven Lodge. I hope to kill with a bow, but will return later for rifle if needed. Its an 8 hour drive for me. So my time off work needs to be used wisely. What type of bulls can I expect? Quality and quantity? I would be lying if I said Ill shoot anything. BUT, like everyone else (usually) I want to kill the best bull possible. Any help and pointers will be greatly appreciated. If I can be of help for Utah hunts, I will gladly trade info!

Thanks for any help! Happy Hunting!!!

Landon

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good luck Robin.
    I lived in Sheridan for a bit years ago.
    You are headed into beautiful country.
    Do you have a Wyoming resident going with you?
    Wish I knew more about 45.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Springville,
    From google earth and the pics people have posted there, IT LOOKS AMAZING!!! I dont have a resident going with me. Ill be hunting the non wilderness area. I do have a friend that is a guide in wyoming that might be able to come with me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't have any good advice specifically about 45 but the best advice in general I can give you is to go out there and bowhunt. Assuming they don't change it from last year, you could bowhunt there Sept. 15-30. Even if it is only for 3-4 days, at the very least it will be a great scouting trip for the October rifle season. Although maybe in September the elk will be up at higher elevations which is pretty much all wilderness, I'm not sure... With all that wilderness, if your WY friend could go with, that would probably be huge.

Also take a look at the deer season dates. I'm almost positive that the Region R deer season will be open during that time so there might be a ton of deer hunters to compete with in your unit. You might also want to think about getting a Region R deer tag just in case you see a big buck. Although that is more than likely terrible advice since if you start seeing deer, you might start wasting time chasing those instead of focusing on elk.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NDHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

Type 9?

Robinland
    I thought unit 45 had a type 9 archery tag, so you could only hunt archery if you drew a type 9 for that unit.
    Most other units in the state allow you to draw rifle, and go early for Archery.
    I thought most of the Bighorns had type 9 and did not allow that.
    Did I miss that?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Springville View Post
    Robinland
    I thought unit 45 had a type 9 archery tag, so you could only hunt archery if you drew a type 9 for that unit.
    Most other units in the state allow you to draw rifle, and go early for Archery.
    Did I miss that?
    No, several Wyoming areas have type 9 tags but you can also hunt archery with the type 1 tag. Other units are archery only or rifle only. 45 happens to be able to have both options with a type 1 tag, however, the type 9 tag gets to start sept, 1st and noth the 15th

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Springville View Post
    Robinland
    Did I miss that?
    Units 35-40, 41, and 45 that are in the BigHorns all have Type 9 A/O tags, as well as Type 1 tags. There are special archery seasons in 35-37, 41, and 45 if you buy the $30 NR archery permit and the season is 9/15-9/30. There is no special archery season in units 38, 39, and 40, so anyone that wants to archery hunt in those units either needs a Type 9 tag or a Type 1 tag that they can use to hunt with a bow during the rifle season in October and they don't need an archery permit to do that.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 03-28-2014 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cool, or crappy if you have a type 9 tag

Robin, I would be there with a bow in hand on the 15th.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys. Yes, I plan on being there on the 15th of Sept for archery season. Thats my passion, archery hunting and elk. I just hope I can get it done with the bow. Its a dream of mine to kill a good bull with a bow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Robiland, give yourself 10 days at least with the bow. You will get it done. You will have encounters every day and several shooting opportunities in those 10 days.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NE69 For This Useful Post: