Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IKIC,

I might not have been clear in my above post, but you can still use the GoLite SL5 as a full coverage floored double walled shelter when you use the nest. I just don't use the nest with it. It is around five pounds with the nest, but it is a palace. I remember when 5 pounds was "ultralight" for a two man tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_steve View Post
    Can't remember bag model name but it is 15 degree 700 down I believe.
    If it was the non-mummy rectangular bag it was the Lost Ranger 15. I had that bag too, and liked it, although it was more like a 25 degree bag. The semi-mummy Zirkel 20 I have now is warmer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Two of my buddies have the Northface Flint 2. I have the ALPS Mystique 1.5 and it worked perfect for me and my gear. Just picked up a Backside T7 one person tent I'm going to try but lose space for gear.

They also both have the Northface Cat's Meow 20 and would sweat every night. No complaints about their gear.

I need a new bag also. Forget the brand but was "Featherlight 20" or something like that from Sportsmans Warehouse. It was terrible. I had silk underwear, light fleece blanket and was on an REI 3r insulated air pad and stll got cold. I've since purchased a silky type bag liner to use next time.

Saw someone mention "promotive" if you can qualify for that site, you can get some really good deals on gear by Kelty, Big Angus, Katydyn, etc... If you're not familiar, you may also try camofire.com or fairchasedeals.com Camofire lists BA bags and various brand tents pretty frequent.

Something else to conisder that I'll do for now on is bring a small candle wrapped in alluminum foil. You can light this and your tent will get pretty toasty quick. Won't stay that way but better than getting in at the starting cold temps...

Good luck.
    Heli M Lost / Heli M Tactical
    Spot Hogg-It 7 Pin / Spot Hogg Hunter 3 or 5 pin
    B-Stinger Hunter Extreme Lost / Black
    QAD XD Lost / Black
    Carbon Express Aramid KV 350 / Blue Streak Select 350

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ArmyArcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I need to upgrade my two man tent and sleeping bag.

My two man tent and sleeping bag is trashed and I need to upgrade.

For the tent I would need a rain fly and prefer so thing light weight and quick setup.

The sleeping bag I would like it to be a cold weather bag with as much fill as possible but still keeping the weight as lite as possible. I don't care for mummy bags at all.

Thanks for the help!
    IKIC, I am currently running the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (2 lbs, 6.5 oz) and like it other than I wanted different stakes for it. I wanted hook style stakes over the ones with just the hole for tying a knot. This tent you enter from the end, met a few folks that do not like that aspect but it doesn't bother me.

For sleeping bag I have a North Face Blue Kazoo 15 degree (2 lbs, 15.9 oz) 650 fill down. This is a "mummy style" but it does not restrict at all. I need my legs to be able to move freely and this bag has not stop that from happening. Its almost like the bag flexes to allow my wild sleeping. I have been in this bag in all different early season temps and have yet to get cold. Probably the coldest has been right around the 15 degree area and I was just fine in this set up.

Good luck on finding what you like!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have been looking and checking out tents for a while now. I am leaning towards the GoLite SL5 as mentioned and I would love to put a stove in it as it can be done very affordable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    For 2 guys, have one man carry the stakes and Tyvek ground cloth. The other carries GoLite's Shangri-La 2 flysheet. Pitched with trekking poles (or I suppose stiff limbs would work in a pinch). I carry trekking poles anyways, so my shelter set-up weighs 33 ounces total. It ain't roomy, but it's the ticket if lightweight is your primary consideration...this is the lightweight forum after all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dihardhunter For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdub24 View Post
    IKIC, I am currently running the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (2 lbs, 6.5 oz) and like it other than I wanted different stakes for it. I wanted hook style stakes over the ones with just the hole for tying a knot. This tent you enter from the end, met a few folks that do not like that aspect but it doesn't bother me.

For sleeping bag I have a North Face Blue Kazoo 15 degree (2 lbs, 15.9 oz) 650 fill down. This is a "mummy style" but it does not restrict at all. I need my legs to be able to move freely and this bag has not stop that from happening. Its almost like the bag flexes to allow my wild sleeping. I have been in this bag in all different early season temps and have yet to get cold. Probably the coldest has been right around the 15 degree area and I was just fine in this set up.

Good luck on finding what you like!
    Thanks. I toss and turn all night and sounds like your the same. I'll look into that bag. It is the only reason I do not like mummy bags.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a copper spur2 and really like it. With the dual vestibules, it would technically work for 2 people.

I can't speak from experience, but I have done all of my research and I really like the Tarptent double rainbow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    i ordered the kelty ignite dri down bag in 0 deg and the big agnes fly creek ul3.Havent tryed them out yet cause i got them this winter and didnt feel like trying them out in a snow bank.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    I looked at quite a few tents to replace some older tents and I am going with the BA Copper Spur UL2 with foot print. I like the dual entrance and duel vestibules. I want my gear close by so it looks like it will work well. I also like the side entries, the extra room inside,and it is very easy to set up.The weight with the footprint is less than one of my current one man tents.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For early season hunting I love my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2- if I was to backpack in during Colorado's 2nd, 3rd or 4th season I'd take a 4-season/expedition weight tent, like a Marmot Thor 3 or similar (and snowshoes.)