Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As a non res with 3 mule deer points, Region G is at the top of my list. A lot of the research I have seen shows the potential for a great buck in this region. However, most of the pictures and kills seem to be from the rifle hunt. What can I expect in Region G as a bowhunter during September? Willing to pack in 5-10 miles, hoping for a chance to chase 160-180 bucks.
    Team Backcountry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have 6 points for deer, elk, and antelope. What ares for each species would you choose to hunt in with little or no scouting time? Ease of getting to know an area with about 10 days to hunt and scout in each area.

I would want to find good quality animals in the upper trophy class. Is this possible without hiring and outfitter?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ikeepitcold; 03-10-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    For a rookie to the Big Horn Basin, which antelope units would you recommend?
    Areas 80 and 114 area the best there is in the Basin for antelope. One of my favorite antelope hunts around Cody though is areas 81 and 82. They are a bit easier to draw and have plenty of antelope. I've seen lots of antelope at 11,000 feet on top of Franc's Peak. I always thought that would make a sweet show to climb up there and kill an antelope up with those sheep. My hats off to anyone who gets that accomplished. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Thanks for the info on 89-90! How are the antelope doing in that area? I hunted 74 in 2012. I like the unit but its gotten alot harder to draw since. Im hoping the quota comes up some in the next couple years while I rebuild my points and it gets easier to draw because Im not sure its worth 4 points rightnow

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What are you takes on unit 83 for antelope and 125 for deer if I don't draw those what about
    Region F for deer

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    With the abundance of snowfall most of the state has seen, especially in the arid portions, would it be safe to say that buck quality should improve greatly this year in these areas often overlooked?
    I think so. The moisture in Wyoming has been outstanding this winter. I just looked at the Snow Tel report this AM and most of the state is at 120-150% of normal snowpack. The most is right here around Cody and the least is around the SW corner of the state near Evanston. The entire state had record rain and snow going into the winter during the fall and barring any crazy spring storms I think this should be a very good year. I think the horn growth should be the best we've seen a while as long as the numbers remain good. The winter has been a tough rough in some places, but I'm not getting any winter kill reports so far. The elk should do tremendous. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Danbuilder View Post
    What are you takes on unit 83 for antelope and 125 for deer if I don't draw those what about
    Region F for deer
    Area 83 for antelope has been rebounding slowly over the past 15 years. I have seen some very good bucks out there over the past two years, and I think it can offer up a good 78-80 inch buck for someone who hunts hard. Antelope are weird, just because the numbers are down, doesn't always mean the quality will be. The antelope should have gone into the winter very strong this year, but they are tricky little devils, as they grow their horns during the winter, so that is a very critical time in their horn growth cycle.

As for deer 125, the season is a very good out there, but the deer quality is a bit tough. I have hunted it before, and I think a 170 buck there is a very good buck, most of the deer killed there are in the 140-160 class. It's a pretty easy hunt and a very good mule deer hunt for a beginner with lots of country and public land. I do know of two bucks over 35-inches that have come out of the area on a good year, so the genetics are there, if you can find a buck that can make it through the hunting pressure to get some age on him.

Good luck. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Would you consider area 34 or 37 for deer worth burning 4 points on, considering we would probably have to apply in the special draw in 34. Same question for unit 73 antelope. 4 points in the regular draw. I see they issue a lot more tags for 73 then say 74 or 75. Considering we wouldn't get to hunt the antelope until late October, what would be our best options in that general area. Thanks!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Thanks for the info on 89-90! How are the antelope doing in that area? I hunted 74 in 2012. I like the unit but its gotten alot harder to draw since. Im hoping the quota comes up some in the next couple years while I rebuild my points and it gets easier to draw because Im not sure its worth 4 points rightnow
    Yeh, they have cut the antelope quotas out there drastically after the bad 2010 winter, which has had quite the negative impact on the draw odds. The antelope have been a little slow to come back, but we hunted out that way a little bit last fall, and it was better than is has been over the past few years. Certainly not quite what is was in 2009, but headed in the right direction. With all of our moisture this year, I'm banking on a pretty good year for horn growth out there this year. My indications from the G&F is that they might look at possible tag quota increases in some antelope areas finally this year. Good luck out there. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    With 7 Antelope points, which unit in southern Wyoming would you shoot for to draw the best tag?