Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As Dan Asked earlier what are your thoughts on Region F deer particularly area 105/106?

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Allen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Went last yr for the first your books and Eastmans magazines helped a lot thanks for all you do.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-3-2013 925.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	8771

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danbuilder For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by spotnstalk1 View Post
    As a non res with 3 mule deer points, Region G is at the top of my list. A lot of the research I have seen shows the potential for a great buck in this region. However, most of the pictures and kills seem to be from the rifle hunt. What can I expect in Region G as a bowhunter during September? Willing to pack in 5-10 miles, hoping for a chance to chase 160-180 bucks.
    That's a good question. The bowhunt in Region G can be pretty tough, as the deer are very, very high in September and tend to hang out in the wide open basins. The other drawback is that you only have about 10 days or less to hunt the bucks in there with a bow. The rifle season in there opens on the 15th of Sept, and about the 9th or 10th the rifle hunters start clambering around those basins scouting for bucks. No doubt, the biggest deer in WY usually come out of that Region. The hunter success in Region G did increase last year by more than 12% putting it at a 5-year high, so the hunting seems to be getting a bit better each year in that Region. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allen View Post
    As Dan Asked earlier what are your thoughts on Region F deer particularly area 105/106?

Thanks
    My wife and I hunt elk in Region F quite a bit, and I think the deer hunting is getting better and better there. I really think that as the elk population has dropped in there due to the wolves, the deer herd has certainly benefited from it. My neighbor's grandson killed a 33-inch buck that he brought over to my house one cold November night to show me last fall. A really, sweet, heavy, Wilderness buck. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I should add to my question that this will be out first trip out west. Camping from Oct the 18th - 26th or so if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I have 6 points for deer, elk, and antelope. What ares for each species would you choose to hunt in with little or no scouting time? Ease of getting to know an area with about 10 days to hunt and scout in each area.

I would want to find good quality animals in the upper trophy class. Is this possible without hiring and outfitter?

Thanks!
    Trent,

I would go for Area 96 for antelope if I were in your shoes. I saw some very nice bucks in there last October and it is close for you coming from NV. Along with that, you might consider area 130 for mule deer. It has been a bit tough out there over the past few years, but I think with this moisture the deer should do very well out there and it would make a sweet combo hunt with overlapping seasons. The hunter success is pretty high in 130 and I think a 170+ is certainly possible, with the antelope quality probably in the 78-82 inch range. No guides would be necessary in either of those area, and I'm always here to help you out if you draw. Good luck man. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with Guy that region F is good but it has heavy hunting pressure and is a lot of wilderness. High deer population but big bucks are far and few between that being said. There are big deer if you have a lot of time to hunt.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMGWY For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Would you consider area 34 or 37 for deer worth burning 4 points on, considering we would probably have to apply in the special draw in 34. Same question for unit 73 antelope. 4 points in the regular draw. I see they issue a lot more tags for 73 then say 74 or 75. Considering we wouldn't get to hunt the antelope until late October, what would be our best options in that general area. Thanks!!

Both can be pretty good deer hunts. I like the 34 hunt better just because I know it a bit better and the access is a little bit better. I know guys that have killed 180+s out of both areas, so they are very similar in trophy quality.

As for antelope, area 73 is a pretty good hunt. I killed a nice 80+ with my bow out there a few years back. The antelope herd out there is massive, on a good year, but the access can be a bit tougher than say 74 or 75. Trophy quality is about the same a good 77-83 buck can be considered good and expected on a good 5 day hunt in that unit. When I was out there a kid from the oil field had killed an 86-incher in that unit the year previous, so it can produce monster bucks when it's good.

G-
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Danbuilder View Post
    Went last yr for the first your books and Eastmans magazines helped a lot thanks for all you do.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-3-2013 925.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	8771
    Nice buck Danbuilder. Glad our products helped you out. Alway fun hunting antelope in the snow. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    I should add to my question that this will be out first trip out west. Camping from Oct the 18th - 26th or so if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Bring your warm weather gear Cobb. That is usually the week we get our first winter-like snow storm. Good luck to you. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher