Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts

Live Chat: Wyoming Deer and Antelope!

We are just about ready to go! Post up your questions about Wyoming deer and antelope, and Guy will be here to answer!

I am really looking forward to this one guys, this thread should contain a LOT of great information!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    for general season resident tag, would you rather hunt the big horns or area 105/106 for mule deer?

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddwinner View Post
    for general season resident tag, would you rather hunt the big horns or area 105/106 for mule deer?
    Depends on what kind of deer you are looking for. The Bighorns has way more deer, but they tend to top out about 170. Area 105 is a pretty tough general season hunt, until November when those bucks pull out of the high country. Without that rut, late season it can be tough in there to find the bucks because the buck density is so low. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Other then region G what deer units should a NR with 3-5 points be looking at the next few years?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The deer and antelope units east of Riverton have had some big tag reductions recently. What do you see happening in that area in the next few years?

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Other then region G what deer units should a NR with 3-5 points be looking at the next few years?
    That's a very good question. Wyoming's deer situation is very tough right now. As for the future, I really like the 105 late season and I think the new LQ structure in the Platte Valley could reap some great mule deer benefits in the next three to five years. Areas 78, 79, 80, 83 and 81 where all changed to Limited Quota last season, taking almost half of the hunting pressure off of some of Wyoming best deer genetics. I think if, the state keeps the quotas tight down there, things could be very good in a few years. I also like the deer quality and rebound in Region K. The fall was very wet and the winter has been pretty mild down there so far. Areas 101, & 102 should have good antler growth this year as well. Just a few of the bright spots. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    The deer and antelope units east of Riverton have had some big tag reductions recently. What do you see happening in that area in the next few years?
    You are correct. Area 90 has really struggled over the past few years. I did mark it as a Blue Chip this year, but it was certainly one of the weakest of the Blue grades for sure. The drought really hit those deer hard in 2012, I think some of the more mature bucks packed up shop and moved East into 89, but that's just my personal opinion. Most of the biggest deer I have seen in that area where on the East border of the unit. I'm hoping with a good year/winter and a stiff tag reduction, this area starts to rebound quickly. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    That's a very good question. Wyoming's deer situation is very tough right now. As for the future, I really like the 105 late season and I think the new LQ structure in the Platte Valley could reap some great mule deer benefits in the next three to five years. Areas 78, 79, 80, 83 and 81 where all changed to Limited Quota last season, taking almost half of the hunting pressure off of some of Wyoming best deer genetics. I think if, the state keeps the quotas tight down there, things could be very good in a few years. I also like the deer quality and rebound in Region K. The fall was very wet and the winter has been pretty mild down there so far. Areas 101, & 102 should have good antler growth this year as well. Just a few of the bright spots. -G
    Thanks Guy! I have 3 points and Im not looking to use them for another year or 2. Just trying to figure out where to head with them. I like to have some kind of general plan but I been kinda at a loss on this one.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    For a rookie to the Big Horn Basin, which antelope units would you recommend?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    With the abundance of snowfall most of the state has seen, especially in the arid portions, would it be safe to say that buck quality should improve greatly this year in these areas often overlooked?