Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Every time that I go on a rigorous diy hunt and I kill an animal 5miles from the pickup I swear it will be the last until I get home and rested. Then I'm on here planning another one. I personally won't pay a guide service for an easy guaranteedhunt when i can get the same animal on public diy. The diy part is the part that makes it a hunt for me. I would enjoy an easier hunt but I don't have the funds or connections to make that happen. I respect everyone's opinion and this is only my take on it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just like some of the others have said, it adds another level of excitement and fulfillment. I have also embraced the gear to be able to pack a heavy load out after the kill. Another benefit is i seem to be more equipped for emergency overnighters to stay on an animal by going backcountry mode. Even if I stay in the wall tent every night, having the gear and the options can really improve a persons odds. I have never been afraid to chase animals clear up until dark, and end up 4 miles from the tent with temps in the teens. Pretty crazy not to carry the gear to survive a night out compared to all those wasted hours hoofing in the dark.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    IMO, yes, but i totally get where the other replies are coming from.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks for the comments guys. One question, what do you use for a sleeping bag? That seems to me a very important item. I would want something very light, compact and enough to keep me warm in freezing temps down to the teens. Is there such a thing? I don't mind sleeping under the stars.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Something else to consider is... living in the west I can backpack all summer long, so when it comes hunting season whether or not I'm backpacking isn't really a big deal. I spend my summers backpacking and climbing 14ers so I'm in the mountains all the time. I can see where if your from Alabama ^^^ or somewhere else your kinda getting a double whammy! You get to big game hunt out west AND get to backpack into the backcountry! I can see where that would be way more appealing than other hunts... especially hotel hunts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys. One question, what do you use for a sleeping bag? That seems to me a very important item. I would want something very light, compact and enough to keep me warm in freezing temps down to the teens. Is there such a thing? I don't mind sleeping under the stars.
    I am a terribly cold sleeper. I am actually cold all the time. I have a marmot 0deg bag that i use even in sept at altitude. I have a -20 wraith bag for anything cold. I know these are much heavier than alot of hardcore guys like, but it is what i need to stay alive.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tttoadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Living in Oregon, you probably ought to stick with a synthetic bag. Kifaru and Marmot both make fine synthetic options that are lightweight and compressible.

I hunt in a much dryer climate and use a down bag (mont-bell ultralight spiral thing-a-ma-jig).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DryFlyGuy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check out Big Agnes, the bag pad system is awesome. I love back pack hunting for mule deer here in Colorado. Sometimes I go solo and sometimes I go with my brother. I prefer to hunt with my bro because company is always nice and we can pack a deer or elk out between the two of us pretty quickly. The key is staying in good shape! If I backpack in the summer by myself on scouting trips I usually bring my yellow lab Hank, he is a good companion and loves the exercise. I feel that I am able to see bigger bucks and bulls act naturally if I can get away from the roads and other hunters!
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to In God We Trust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 2 Posts
    I totally agree, backpack hunting isn't the only way or the best. That being said its my preferred way to hunt and solo to boot. Its more of a personal test/goal to me, bagging a trophy is nice but not everything to me. I set personal goals each and every hunt whether it be 5 miles back or from my truck/quad close to everything or everyone. This year I plan on doing both, going to have a trailer for base camp and bringing my back country gear for a couple of extended stays. I didn't incorporate backpacking and hunting until 4-5 years ago and I'm totally hooked. I've got friends whom I hunt with that do not or will not backpack in and I don't blame them, they've had better success than me on many occasions. And they stayed in a cosey trailer in a queen sized bed. I do it for me and my style, the rewards I receive mentally and physically are my trophy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JasonGNV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I have the army sleep system. It consists of a light bag, a heavier bag, and a bivy sack. All 3 snap together and you can use any combo of the 3 or all 3. I also take an army poncho liner sometimes since they pack down pretty small and are light and fairly warm. I have used the light bag and poncho liner quite a bit in October and I have stayed warm down to 0 with both bags and the bivy. It gives you quite a few options.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post: