Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Every time that I go on a rigorous diy hunt and I kill an animal 5miles from the pickup I swear it will be the last until I get home and rested. Then I'm on here planning another one. I personally won't pay a guide service for an easy guaranteedhunt when i can get the same animal on public diy. The diy part is the part that makes it a hunt for me. I would enjoy an easier hunt but I don't have the funds or connections to make that happen. I respect everyone's opinion and this is only my take on it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just like some of the others have said, it adds another level of excitement and fulfillment. I have also embraced the gear to be able to pack a heavy load out after the kill. Another benefit is i seem to be more equipped for emergency overnighters to stay on an animal by going backcountry mode. Even if I stay in the wall tent every night, having the gear and the options can really improve a persons odds. I have never been afraid to chase animals clear up until dark, and end up 4 miles from the tent with temps in the teens. Pretty crazy not to carry the gear to survive a night out compared to all those wasted hours hoofing in the dark.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    IMO, yes, but i totally get where the other replies are coming from.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    Thanks for the comments guys. One question, what do you use for a sleeping bag? That seems to me a very important item. I would want something very light, compact and enough to keep me warm in freezing temps down to the teens. Is there such a thing? I don't mind sleeping under the stars.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Something else to consider is... living in the west I can backpack all summer long, so when it comes hunting season whether or not I'm backpacking isn't really a big deal. I spend my summers backpacking and climbing 14ers so I'm in the mountains all the time. I can see where if your from Alabama ^^^ or somewhere else your kinda getting a double whammy! You get to big game hunt out west AND get to backpack into the backcountry! I can see where that would be way more appealing than other hunts... especially hotel hunts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys. One question, what do you use for a sleeping bag? That seems to me a very important item. I would want something very light, compact and enough to keep me warm in freezing temps down to the teens. Is there such a thing? I don't mind sleeping under the stars.
    I am a terribly cold sleeper. I am actually cold all the time. I have a marmot 0deg bag that i use even in sept at altitude. I have a -20 wraith bag for anything cold. I know these are much heavier than alot of hardcore guys like, but it is what i need to stay alive.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tttoadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Living in Oregon, you probably ought to stick with a synthetic bag. Kifaru and Marmot both make fine synthetic options that are lightweight and compressible.

I hunt in a much dryer climate and use a down bag (mont-bell ultralight spiral thing-a-ma-jig).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DryFlyGuy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    Check out Big Agnes, the bag pad system is awesome. I love back pack hunting for mule deer here in Colorado. Sometimes I go solo and sometimes I go with my brother. I prefer to hunt with my bro because company is always nice and we can pack a deer or elk out between the two of us pretty quickly. The key is staying in good shape! If I backpack in the summer by myself on scouting trips I usually bring my yellow lab Hank, he is a good companion and loves the exercise. I feel that I am able to see bigger bucks and bulls act naturally if I can get away from the roads and other hunters!
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to In God We Trust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 5 Posts
    I totally agree, backpack hunting isn't the only way or the best. That being said its my preferred way to hunt and solo to boot. Its more of a personal test/goal to me, bagging a trophy is nice but not everything to me. I set personal goals each and every hunt whether it be 5 miles back or from my truck/quad close to everything or everyone. This year I plan on doing both, going to have a trailer for base camp and bringing my back country gear for a couple of extended stays. I didn't incorporate backpacking and hunting until 4-5 years ago and I'm totally hooked. I've got friends whom I hunt with that do not or will not backpack in and I don't blame them, they've had better success than me on many occasions. And they stayed in a cosey trailer in a queen sized bed. I do it for me and my style, the rewards I receive mentally and physically are my trophy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JasonGNV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I have the army sleep system. It consists of a light bag, a heavier bag, and a bivy sack. All 3 snap together and you can use any combo of the 3 or all 3. I also take an army poncho liner sometimes since they pack down pretty small and are light and fairly warm. I have used the light bag and poncho liner quite a bit in October and I have stayed warm down to 0 with both bags and the bivy. It gives you quite a few options.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post: