Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Went out scouting more areas yesterday. Seems like the floods have cut off access to the areas I thought might be best. I have found a couple other areas that I'm going to take a look at this weekend. The thing I'm becoming concerned with is I have really found any sign of turkeys. I "think" I may have found some droppings but not a lot. I'm beginning to think that I might not be at the right elevation. I know the birds probably haven't startting moving to highh yet but as for the hunt what elevations should I be conncentrating on? So far I've mainly scouted between 6200-6800, but I've read that they tend to roam a little higher 7 to 9000 feet. Is that correct? Should I try to get higher up? Also I've heard that around Heil Ranch can be good, anyone have any experience in that area?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I heard a tom gobbling the other night, and this morning a tom was all fanned out looking good for the ladies.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by istahill View Post
    Went out scouting more areas yesterday. Seems like the floods have cut off access to the areas I thought might be best. I have found a couple other areas that I'm going to take a look at this weekend. The thing I'm becoming concerned with is I have really found any sign of turkeys. I "think" I may have found some droppings but not a lot. I'm beginning to think that I might not be at the right elevation. I know the birds probably haven't startting moving to highh yet but as for the hunt what elevations should I be conncentrating on? So far I've mainly scouted between 6200-6800, but I've read that they tend to roam a little higher 7 to 9000 feet. Is that correct? Should I try to get higher up? Also I've heard that around Heil Ranch can be good, anyone have any experience in that area?
    Down here in SW Co, the birds usually follow the snow line up. Look for scratching under the oak brush on the ground as they look for acorns. When it warms up a little more they start searching the meadows/grassy areas looking for insects.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow! 5 birds for 50$ is probably the cheapest ive heard of. Very liberal bag limit also. You would think the wolves would take out some of that vermin and leave the big money species alone!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    $120 for 4, wow! I am complaining about 5 for $50. I guess it is all relative. We had one tom that all he did was fight his reflection in the window.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I second on following the snow line

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    Wow! 5 birds for 50$ is probably the cheapest ive heard of. Very liberal bag limit also. You would think the wolves would take out some of that vermin and leave the big money species alone!

you don't see turkeys in the woods, only in people yards. or more correctly said, the turkeys seem to do very well in the wildland urban interface. they don't seem to be many in the "wild". wolves are around the house, but in a very super small way. In the wildland urban interface, the wolf has not been an issue. in the "wild" yes, but that seems to be more talk than reality. atleast what I have seen. but with that said, I don't hunt elk in the wilderness anymore. just outside the wildland urban interface and have done well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    See if you can get out into the woods early in the morning, well before the sun comes up. Try to locate the birds by listening for the toms to gobble while on the roost. If the birds are easily found in the residential area, they are more than likely roosting further up in the hills/mountains and then coming down into the housing after the hit the ground. Try to locate the roost and sit in between the housing/feeding area and the roost. I grew up hunting in Missouri and now I'm living in the great turkey area of Northern California. I absolutely love chasing big toms!! Another thing you can do... If you have a general idea of where the roost is but you don't know exactly, try using a fall tactic. Walk through either late after the birds have flown up into the roost or real early in the morning long before they fly down. Just take off walking in the area you think the roost is at. You'll find the roost after you bust a couple of birds out of there. Just don't bust their roost too much. They like to roost in the same general area as long as they don't get pushed off the roost too often. Good luck this spring season guys.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks knappy and good luck to you also. Im headed to western ok this weekend in pursuit of rios.