Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to hunting the Long beard unit 20

Hey guys,
    I'm planning on going after spring turkey for the first time this year. I live outside of Longmont CO so I'm thinking I'm going to hunt unit 20. I've done a little internet scouting, even put boots on the ground this past weekend, but I'm not sure I'm looking in the right area. I didn't find any sign of turkey whatsoever. If anyone would be willing to give me a general area to start scouting I'd really appreciate it! You can PM if you don't want to display it publically. Again, I'm not looking for anyone's sweet spot just a general direction for this first time turkey hunter. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What I do is first look for roost trees. Look for lots of white droppings on the ground. Usually pretty big evergreens, not too far from good feeding areas. Once I've found a promising area, I wait until late evening and see if they are actively using the roost. If not, just keep looking!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Where they are now during winter probably isn't where they'll be come spring so don't worry about not seeing any sign this time of year. They will usually follow the snow line (usually), so start looking there. I'm not familiar with unit 20 so no help there, sorry.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not much of a turkey hunter, just someone who lives with the turkeys.
    I don't see much migration with turkeys. maybe a half mile from one house to another. Honestly look for private propery and than start knocking on the doors of the homeowners. Maybe put an add in the local paper asking for someone who wants the nuisance birds off of there property. I am serious about that last part. Once word got out that I had a friend that wanted to shoot turkeys, all the neighbors where inviting him over. tags cost to much for me to deal with it. I am in Idaho and we are allowed 5 a year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Not much of a turkey hunter, just someone who lives with the turkeys.
    I don't see much migration with turkeys. maybe a half mile from one house to another. Honestly look for private propery and than start knocking on the doors of the homeowners. Maybe put an add in the local paper asking for someone who wants the nuisance birds off of there property. I am serious about that last part. Once word got out that I had a friend that wanted to shoot turkeys, all the neighbors where inviting him over. tags cost to much for me to deal with it. I am in Idaho and we are allowed 5 a year.
    I've been shooting them in Texas..$120.00 for 4 tags for NR. Always fill all my tags. Hunting here in SW Colo is really tough. Lots of walking and looking....unless you know someone that has a flock on their land.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    $120 for 4, wow! I am complaining about 5 for $50. I guess it is all relative. We had one tom that all he did was fight his reflection in the window.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    $120 for 4, wow! I am complaining about 5 for $50. I guess it is all relative. We had one tom that all he did was fight his reflection in the window.
    I usually go down there the first week of April for turkey opening and also shoot a couple of hogs too. I have a friend that has lots of land and he hunts elk with me and I go down for turkeys and hogs. I just can't bring myself to spend the $250.00 (or about that much) to hunt those small whitetails down there. If I remember you get 5 or 6 tags, shoot 2 bucks(I under 16"wide; I over) and the rest does. Lots of deer, but my Lab is as big as most of the deer down there!

I did get a gobbler that weighed #23 (with the guts out). Had a 10" beard and 1 1/2 spurs a couple of years ago.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I did a little bit more interent scouting through the DOWs hunting atlas last night. Found a couple more areas to scout out. Prolly head up tomorrow and do like you said Colorado Cowboy look for roosting trees/droppings with any luck I'll locate some birds then just try to keep track of their movemonts until season opening. Thanks for the tips, I'm quickly learning that turkey hunting (pre-season at least) isn't much different than elk hunting, nothing substitutes boots on the ground and time in the field getting to know the area!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here in the west, the birds move around lots and sometimes can be down right impossible to find. The comparison to elk hunting is spot on!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    good luck on your hunt.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tim For This Useful Post: