Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
    I own a Swaro and a Vortex.
    Which Swaro and Vortex models specifically grizzly?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
    I own a Swaro and a Vortex. Take the Swaro.

BTW, Swaro is great on warranty (in fact, they are repairing an eyepiece of mine right now that I bought used). Like was mentioned, verify it was originally sold via an authorized dealer in USA and you are good to go.
    Which Swarovski and which Vortex do you own?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'd take the Swaro. If anything, sell it if you happen to not like it for whatever reason.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    No brainer.....seriously!
    Good advice on the angled vs straight.
    I went with the angled but some folks don't like it.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bought the Vortex 16-48x65 angled as a compromise between weight and great optics. I liked the scope and the warranty but didn't like the angled version because it's not as instinctive when you are trying to find things.

I had a hunt last year where I couldn't set up a tripod because it made me too visible to deer I was trying to size up in an open field. I tried laying that angled spotter on a hay bale and had a devil of a time finding what I was looking for - no problem if I had a straight scope. Plus, the straight scope is easier to pack in a backpack side pocket.

I traded it almost straight up for a demo Zeiss Dialyt, which is straight, has similar if not better optics and weighs less. Plus, it's practically indestructible.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    The straight vs angled will come right down to personal preference.
    Using a short little tripod with a straight scope is pretty hard.
    I like the ability to use a compact tripod and sit upright while glassing.
    At the same time I think using a straight scope is easier with a full size tripod while standing.
    Again really comes down to preference.

Not going to find better low light performance than with the Swarovski (IMO).
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BB and DIYLife...

A new Vortex Razor 65 and a Demo Swaro ATM 80HD w/ Demo 25x50 W eyepiece.

I bought the Razor thinking I would like the smaller size for packing. Wrong. The Swaro is so much better in every way that I'll carry the weight of the Swaro. I let my brother borrow my Vortex last fall and haven't seen it since. ---- I'm afraid he thinks I gave it to him permanently. ;-)

I literally haven't missed it once.

For the record, my buddy is a Swaro dealer and offered me an ATX 85 for an amount that I could easily sell my ATM 80HD for, so I could essentially "upgrade" straight across with no additional cost. After looking through both of them side-by-side and comparing specs, I decided to keep my ATM. I liked the color better on the ATM and am not a fan of the ATX's "field flattener" lens while panning and searching under trees for bedded deer.

An ATM 80HD weighs only 6oz more than at ATS 65HD. That is very little added weight to get what can only be considered one of the best pieces of optical glass ever created. My personal opinion is the "M-series" are maybe one of the best all-around hunting scopes ever made. I literally won't trade you my used M for a brand new S or X, I had the chance and didn't take it.

PS. The Swaro eyepiece had an interior screw come loose a few weeks ago while hunting Barbary Sheep. You could see it in the field of view and it scratched an interior lens while rolling around inside. It took Swaro 4 days after receipt to email me saying it was being repaired under warranty and there would be no cost. Can't complain about that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Interesting take grizzly.

One thing to note is that you were comparing the Razor 65 to the Swaro 80HD, and I agree completely that when comparing those models, the Swaro pretty easily outperforms the smaller Razor.

However, the OP is comparing the Razor 85HD to the non-HD 65mm ATS, and I still consider the Razor 85HD the better optical performer. Of course, this comes at a significant weight penalty.

On your assessment of the ATX vs. ATM HD, I also agree that the field flattener in the ATX definitely provides a different view than the 25-50 w/ the ATM. The biggest difference is that the ATM with that eyepiece has loads of distortion, while the ATX is practically distortion-free. The other difference is the ATX also offers 60x magnification (while maintaining WA), and the subsequent increases in useable detail.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I ended up with the Razor 85HD,

This weekend was the first time that I got to use it. I was pretty happy with the scope overall. It is heavy but it is really clear. I got to see all kinds of animals from a couple miles away up to about 800 yards, we didnt try to get any closer than that. We watched a herd of 53 bulls for about two hours, most of them had both horns still, some of them only had one. I would really like to get a camera and trying digiscoping. I am going to try to get something set up before fall. Thanks for all the help,