Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to decide between 3 Wyoming units

My buddy and I currently have 1 preference point and are thinking about using it to go on a hunt this coming fall. We have tentatively narrowed things down to 48(2) Special Draw, 91(1) Special Draw, and 83(1) Regular Draw. I understand that our draw odds at 91 would be pretty low, but not impossible according to the MRS.

We have never hunted antelope before (or anything out west for that matter) and are trying to pick a hunt with decent public access, good antelope numbers/sightings on the public land, and decent trophy potential (we would be happy with antelope in the lower to mid 70s, they don't need to be monsters but we want something we can put on the wall). We will probably not hunt opening weekend and plan to have 5 or 6 hunting days (probably Sunday to Saturday) a week or two into the season.

I would appreciate any advise regarding the current state of these units and recommendations between them.

I also wanted to try gather more information by calling biologists and any other resources available, but am not sure who to contact or where to start. I have only been able to find the phone numbers for Game and Fish Regional Offices.

Thanks a lot for any help. I am really excited to finally go on my first hunt out west.

Gaston

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    I have no experience in those areas so I can't offer too much advice in choosing. To gain more information, I would speak with the game wardens for these individual areas. Some of the areas will have more than one warden as they sometimes are split by region. The Game Wardens will have real time information and have been extremely helpful to me anytime I have called with questions. You will typically have to leave them a message and they will call you back. You can search on line to find their information and how to contact them. If you call the regional office over your areas they will also give you the warden's contact info. The regional offices will also maintain a list of landowners that allow hunting for each area. Some charge a fee and some do not. I would also research any HMAs in the specific areas. They are private land that the WGF contracts to allow public access for free. They can be very good hunting- especially a week or two into the season. Good luck guys!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm guessing you have no preference points. The way I read the MRS, the only one of the three you can draw in the special draw with no points is 48-2. For Area 91 you have a 32% chance and in 83 a 21% chance.

If I was interested enough to pay the extra money to put into the special draw for antelope, I'd want the unit with the best odds. They're all good units.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Me and my buddy each have one preference point. According to the MRS I would have 100% draw odds at 48(2) Special Draw, 32% at 91(1) Special Draw, and 60% at 83(1) Regular Draw which is surprisingly higher odds then the Special Draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I think any of those would be a good hunt. I would also consider 73. 48 would be my last choice of those only because the areas of public land are smaller in it and I like larger pieces of public land to get away from other hunters. Also I think some of the southern part of 83 is on the Reservation, but there is still plenty of blm to hunt in the northern part. From what I have herd they have had a pretty decent winter and there is some chance of some quotas increasing so draw odds could get a bit better but its too soon to know on that yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd apply for 2 doe tags each and figure on getting 2 more in the leftovers, maybe a close unit, and figure out what you're doing then burn points next year when you have some mud on your boots.
    Those 4 doe tags will run about $165 and that dinker buck will cost you about $280.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info Musket. I was actually considering 73 as their Special Draw has 77% odds with 1 point, but I noticed that the buck success rate for 73(1) was only 66% last year (MRS success rates include does and fawns), and the days/harvest was 6.1 which was really high compared to most units. It also only has 45% public land. Should I not rely on those numbers for some reason?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wapiti, my buddy and I are in Miami, Florida and would have to fly out there which is really expensive, and take a full week off work. I would definitely like to start doing something like that if I was close by, but this is going to be a big trip for us.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfontela View Post
    Thanks for the info Musket. I was actually considering 73 as their Special Draw has 77% odds with 1 point, but I noticed that the buck success rate for 73(1) was only 66% last year (MRS success rates include does and fawns), and the days/harvest was 6.1 which was really high compared to most units. It also only has 45% public land. Should I not rely on those numbers for some reason?
    I see an 81% success rate and 4.2 days/harvest for 73 in the MRS. 45% public land is pretty good since its a big unit, the chunks of public land are fairly big and and there is good access to them. I might switch to 73 my self if the unit I been hunting doesnt stop taking so many more points then it used to.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by gfontela View Post
    Wapiti, my buddy and I are in Miami, Florida and would have to fly out there which is really expensive, and take a full week off work. I would definitely like to start doing something like that if I was close by, but this is going to be a big trip for us.
    From Miami my self and went out last year for the first time. You will have a great time... do your research on public land and the access to public land, it can be tricky.