Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Topgun, the vehicle issue is a big one for those of us who live nearly 1,500-2,000 miles away. What you can rent from the rental care agencies is just AWD, you can't take them off-road and can't put chains on them.

I'd love to see someone set up a 4WD rental business with older vehicles. Maybe there's not enough of us to make it worthwhile, especially since the young guys will tag-team shifts and drive it straight through. I did that too when I was 20-something. Doesn't work for us middle-age guys, though. Of course, we all have plenty of money and just use outfitters, right?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    Topgun, the vehicle issue is a big one for those of us who live nearly 1,500-2,000 miles away. What you can rent from the rental care agencies is just AWD, you can't take them off-road and can't put chains on them.

I'd love to see someone set up a 4WD rental business with older vehicles. Maybe there's not enough of us to make it worthwhile, especially since the young guys will tag-team shifts and drive it straight through. I did that too when I was 20-something. Doesn't work for us middle-age guys, though. Of course, we all have plenty of money and just use outfitters, right?
    I'm well past middle age unless they have a breakthrough and discover a way to increase the life expectancy to 130, LOL! Anyway, that's exactly why I brought up what I did because I looked all over trying to help several people on different websites a couple years ago and I couldn't find a single place anywhere in the state that rented 4 wheel drive vehicles. Even if you rented an AWD it's like you mentioned in not being able to get off the beaten track and not being able to chain one up. I've always driven out from MI in my 4x4 PU in less than 2 days to the west side of the BigHorns and until last year had pulled a small hard top popup ALiner. Last year I bought a like new 1997 19' trailer for $3700 to have more space and amenities as I get older and all that extra room was really nice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    I cant even imagine flying and trying to ship all my gear, rent a vehicle and things I couldnt ship, shipping meat and gear back. Sounds like a nightmare and a half to me and alot more expensive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts
    It's a long drive but worth it! Not sure what middle-age is now days? I just turned 39 & last fall I drove a 1000 miles, 16 hrs to Wyoming. Straight through by myself, while my hunting buddies slept. Of course I've got a rodeo family that keeps the roads hot! I'm usually the one driving, while everyone else is sleeping!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Did you fly out or drive from FL for your hunt and was it a DIY hunt?
    Drove to memphis met up with friends and drove the rest of the way to Wy... hunted antelope in gillete area and then cody area for deer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gfontela View Post
    WapitiBob, I don't really understand your post. Is there a Hunter Management Area that is closed until the first week of October then opens to everyone? The bottom half of 48 looks like checkerboard to me.
    Hanna Draw and Simpson Ridge are two Hunter Management Areas (HMAs) that are limited entry during the first week of the antelope hunt in 48 (Type 1 tag) and are unlimited access after the second week of the hunt (when the Type 2 season opens up). Both of these HMAs are in the southern portion of Unit 48, and include much of the checkerboard that you see. All you have to do is go online, agree to obey the laws, and print out a permission slip that must be in your vehicle while you are on the HMAs. If you forget the slip and get stopped by the HMA management, you could be cited for trespassing, but if it's in your vehicle, there will be no problems whatsoever.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allen View Post
    From Miami my self and went out last year for the first time. You will have a great time... do your research on public land and the access to public land, it can be tricky.
    Hi Scott. I'm from Miami too. I applied for unit 48 with the special draw (1 PP). Hopefully I get drawn. I'd love to know how you planned out your trip (flying vs driving, etc). Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 74 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post

I actually took a rental last year on my antelope hunt. My new truck was hit by a guy taking his CDL test. Was a bad deal and my truck was in the shop during the dates of my Wyoming Antelope trip. I rented a 4wd dodge ram extended cab from enterprise in Columbus Nebraska. I think several of the rental agencies have pick ups around here. I have no idea what it cost because the insurance companies took care of everything for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    I actually took a rental last year on my antelope hunt. My new truck was hit by a guy taking his CDL test. Was a bad deal and my truck was in the shop during the dates of my Wyoming Antelope trip. I rented a 4wd dodge ram extended cab from enterprise in Columbus Nebraska. I think several of the rental agencies have pick ups around here. I have no idea what it cost because the insurance companies took care of everything for me.
    When I was at the Denver Airport a few years back, I met a lady antelope hunter who was turning in her 4WD after a week of antelope hunting. I asked her how she kept from getting cactus spines in her tires (which the rental companies hate). Her answer: "disposable razors-just shave them off". Never know when/where you are going to learn something.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    The rates vary considerably depending on location. Enterprise seems to have more trucks than any of the other rentals, but the availability of a requested vehicle is hit and miss. I generally try to rent a full size extended cab with Dodge as my first choice, but I rarely get what I have requested. Once, I got a Durango, but I bought the insurance and upon returning, I told them that I had rented a truck, and told them for what purpose. Not my problem that the boulevard cruised they substituted was anointed with blood and mud. Once I got a Tundra, which I disagree is a full sized truck. You will have better luck at a larger Enterprise that has more vehicles, but be forewarned that if you are renting a vehicle for hunting and you are flying in, you may be in for a surprise. Just because you have a guaranteed reservation, it means nothing more than "best efforts" which are sometimes not much. All that being said, weekly rental on a full size truck will run approximately $400, plus taxes and insurance. Ask about the weekly rate because it is sometimes cheaper to rent for a week, than for 5 or 6 days.
    Last edited by Sawfish; 03-18-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA