Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quality Elk Hunt for Dad

My old man turned 60 recently and my brother and I want to set him up on a quality bull elk hunt....his trophy room is pretty complete he finally drew his Oregon sheep tag last year but he still hasn't bagged a 6pt bull in that 300 class. Does anyone have any recommendations on a quality bull hunt we can purchase in that $2500-5000 range? We all live in Oregon but are willing to travel to Montana, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada. We are hoping for a hunt with good chances of taking a bull in the 280-330 range. I'm thinking we need to be looking at states with LOP Tags to purchase at least that is what we've found in our search so far, we'd prefer non-guided. We haven't hunted out of state other than Idaho so we are not up to speed on the different rules state to state.

Thanks for any tips

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 7 Posts
    take a look at smokeymountainoutfitters.com in western wyoming. i havent hunted there yet but have heard good things about them. i talked to the owner a couple of times, great guy and he said there average bull is 280 but a guy missed a 350 last year.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Retterath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley180 View Post
    My old man turned 60 recently and my brother and I want to set him up on a quality bull elk hunt....his trophy room is pretty complete he finally drew his Oregon sheep tag last year but he still hasn't bagged a 6pt bull in that 300 class. Does anyone have any recommendations on a quality bull hunt we can purchase in that $2500-5000 range? We all live in Oregon but are willing to travel to Montana, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada. We are hoping for a hunt with good chances of taking a bull in the 280-330 range. I'm thinking we need to be looking at states with LOP Tags to purchase at least that is what we've found in our search so far, we'd prefer non-guided. We haven't hunted out of state other than Idaho so we are not up to speed on the different rules state to state.

Thanks for any tips
    I think there are several hunts in Wyoming that would give your dad a good opportunity in that price range. You will have to wait for the 2015 season. Your can buy a preference point this summer for Wyoming. This will give you a good chance at drawing the general tag for the following season. There are several outfitters operating in General areas that produce big bulls- my advice is to talk with many of them and communicate your goals. Pick the one that you feel the best about. You may want to look at Out West Safaris elk hunts. They guide in a blue chip area that is hard to draw and then they guide in area 21 on some great private land that your dad could draw. The area 21 hunts are around 4k- meals, lodging included I believe. There are many others out there as well. The Wyoming game wardens are very open to helping people select good outfitters. Give different wardens a call to discuss their opinions. Helping the public is a part of their job that most of them enjoy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info, I'll give those guys a call looks like they have opportunities in Idaho too.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great info, sounds like we're too late for Wyoming so I'll try to focus on some other states. Looked at their website they deliver some quality elk! Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    I'd be looking at transferrable landowner tags on private property in NM, CO, and UT. That takes you out of having to buy PPs and wait your turn to get drawn, as well as getting limited access to property where a bull like you're talking about shouldn't be that hard to take compared to going on a public land goose chase.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    It would be interesting to see what you could buy a mid tier Utah landowner tag for. If I recall correctly they are good unit wide. A 280+ bull with good public access could probably be done easily in 3/4 of the limited entry units. Then you could go DIY.

Also check on a landowner tag for Unit 61 in Colorado.

Lots of good landowner tags in New Mexico. Make sure the one you buy is good for a unit wide hunt.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-13-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    It would be interesting to see what you could buy a mid tier Utah landowner tag for. If I recall correctly they are good unit wide. A 280+ bull with good public access could probably be done easily in 3/4 of the limited entry units. Then you could go DIY.

Also check on a landowner tag for Unit 61 in Colorado.

Lots of good landowner tags in New Mexico. Make sure the one you buy is good for a unit wide hunt.
    Yep, and I'd bet he could buy one just about anywhere for the money he said he's willing to spend unless he went for one of the top tier places!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll do some more looking at Utah, your the second recommendation on Unit 61 in Colorado so we'll keep working on that. Other than talking to Outfitters on a LOP tag is there anywhere else we should be searching? Unit 61 might be a little more than we can spend from what I've found but looks like a great unit.
    New Mexico looks like a good option I've found some good info on that and reasonable.
    Thanks a bunch!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for your input, really helps me narrow things down a bit!