Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Region F deer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 5 Posts

Region F deer

Planning on hunting f this year probly 105. I heard that the winter has been tough around Cody. Does anyone know if up in f would be the same? Or do most the deer come down to Cody for the winter and do OK? Either way we are probably going there, just curious if anyone had any info.

Thanks!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mnhoundman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    The last I heard from a friend in Powell a couple weeks ago was that the snowpack was over 100% of normal up high, but they had just one good snow down lower in the Cody/Powell area itself late in February. With an F tag you have an option of an early 10/1 opener for bucks on the NF and an opener on 11/1 for any deer off the NF, which covers 2/3rds of the unit, or do both if you don't fill on the earlier season and can get on property outside the NF boundary to the east side of the unit.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 03-13-2014 at 01:16 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks top gun! We know a few people here that hunt deer unit 105 for elk, so they could give us some info. Do you think 105 is a good choice?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Do you have any PPs, since the Region F tag is 100% draw and I don't know that I'd burn PPs on it. If you're going to put a hard to draw LQ unit like the five day season from 11/1 to 11/5 is for 105, 106, and 109 and then put F as your second choice it might not be a bad idea. That way you could scout and hunt 105 and if you like the area would be building PPs for a possible future late hunt. It's just really hard to pick an area now for deer, as I have 5 PPs and sort of wish I'd not bought any sinceI'm right in the middle of building them and waiting to use them with hopes that things get better orputting in for Region G where there is possibly the best chance of taking a big buck. It doesn't sound like you have PPs if you're talking about going for a Region F tag, so I guess it's probably as good as anywhere right now to go without burning PPs. Definitely check with the guys that hunt in 105 for elk, as that woud be the best information you could get if they've been there recently.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 03-13-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Do you have any PPs, since the Region F tag is 100% draw and I don't know that I'd burn PPs on it. If you're going to put a hard to draw LQ unit like the five day season from 11/1 to 11/5 is for 105, 106, and 109 and then put F as your second choice it might not be a bad idea. That way you could scout and hunt 105 and if you like the area would be building PPs for a possible future late hunt. It's just really hard to pick an area now for deer, as I have 5 PPs and sort of wish I'd not bought any sinceI'm right in the middle of building them and waiting to use them with hopes that things get better orputting in for Region G where there is possibly the best chance of taking a big buck. It doesn't sound like you have PPs if you're talking about going for a Region F tag, so I guess it's probably as good as anywhere right now to go without burning PPs. Definitely check with the guys that hunt in 105 for elk, as that woud be the best information you could get if they've been there recently.
    I have 4 points, but would be doing what you said putting in for that LE tag and general for second choice. Very doubtful to draw LE, but awesome if we would, otherwise hunt General. The guys that elk hunt there see some good deer in there, granted it is around thanksgiving, but they are there somewhere, have to hope for a snow storm. But I think it's as good as anywhere right now.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhoundman View Post
    Planning on hunting f this year probly 105. I heard that the winter has been tough around Cody. Does anyone know if up in f would be the same? Or do most the deer come down to Cody for the winter and do OK? Either way we are probably going there, just curious if anyone had any info.

Thanks!!
    Winter has been pretty harsh here this year. I have a friend that was going to put in for deer and is waiting. snow pack is 120-150% of normal. not sure on the deer but I do know about the weather!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddwinner View Post
    Winter has been pretty harsh here this year. I have a friend that was going to put in for deer and is waiting. snow pack is 120-150% of normal. not sure on the deer but I do know about the weather!
    I know it's hard to tell, but in your opinion do you think it hurt the deer alot?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    F has had leftover tags the last few years so you should draw it easily 2nd choice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhoundman View Post
    I know it's hard to tell, but in your opinion do you think it hurt the deer alot?
    I honestly cannot even guess... according to eastmans it should be good still. Sorry

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kiddwinner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddwinner View Post
    How's your friend Kidd ? LOL !